• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rumblings in my bunnies tum!

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
Ok I have mentioned this before but nobody ever really gave me a definitive answer.

I have had Xena about 2 and half months, she is spayed and bonded to my neutered boy. Her diet consists of excel pellets twice a day (scatter fed) and constant hay with occasional treats and fresh forage from the garden every other day or so.

Xena has a very loud tummy. I can hear it gurgling from across the room but she seems fine in herself. She has been to regular vet checks re her eye and her tummy has always felt fine.

Is this a bad thing? Should I be worrying that she may get bloat or has some other digestive problem?

Can nobody give me advice on this?

I also have another question; noticed recently that she smells quite bad. :oops: I checked her scent glands and they are both very clean but VERY smelly. Even though there is no "gunge" do they need cleaning just because they are smelly? All the info I have looked up on cleaning scent glads has referred to them only needing cleaning when you see the black smelly stuff blocking them.

I know it's a stupid question but I've never had a problem with my bunnies' scent glands before. :oops:

No idea on either, sorry! I read this about half an hour ago but didn't want to bump it up as it would take it off the unanswered threads list! Hope someone can help.

I don't know either. One of my buns had a rumbling tum once, took her to the vet to be on the safe side and she was fine the next day so I have no idea what it was.

I have never had scent gland problems either :oops:

My Inca had a VERY loud rumbling tummy before. It is still rather noisy but no where near what it was. The thing that I found to help was Protexin Pro-Fibre pellets, which are basically a high fibre probiotic pellet. I think that maybe a probiotic might help with the rumbling.

As for the scent gland smell, sorry, dunno :(

I think next time she is at the vets I will ask the vet to check and clean her glands. One does seem a little bit "mucky" but not really bad...maybe she's just a smelly bunny? I'd do it myself but she HATES being put on her back...plus it's not a pleasant job. :lol:

Regarding the rumbly tummy, I mean if she isn't bothered by it is it something to worry about? It's just quite alarming and the noise does sometimes make both buns jump. :shock: She never seems in pain, never grinds her teeth or tummy presses and she's a very happy floppy rabbit so she is obviously quite content. It is worse after she has her pellets, even though I scatter feed. She eats VERY fast, I've never seen a rabbit scoff her food so quickly so perhaps that is what's causing her grumbling belly?
I will try the pro-biotic pellets, will it work if I just mix it into her food rather than just give that as her staple diet? It would just be quite difficult to have two bunnies who free range in the same room with different diets lol.

Yeah, Inca's tum was like that, as if it is not bothering her but was loud.

The pellets, I just give them as an extra on top of the normal food. I end up having to give Herbie them too, they both think of them as a treat so eat them quickly!

Thank you everyone for all your advice and for putting my mind at rest. Relived that it doesn't seem to be anything bad, will keep an eye on her anyway and try the pellets. :) X

Back