• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bit of a drama this morning

bunnylover177

Alpha Buck
My OH went down to feed the buns this morning and found an injured Rosa and lots of blood. He took her off to the vets and it is just superficial but it certainly looks nasty. Her other ear has two regular bites on it as well.
DSCF2381.jpg

Rosa and Ash have been together for just over 2 weeks and it seemed to be going fine. I've seen them grooming each otehr and sitting together. However I don't think they had really sorted out their dominance question and I guess Ash got experated with Rosa. Rosa had a bad start in life and lots of human handling and I wonder if she just doesn't understand how to relate to other buns well. This is the third attempt at bonding her and this one was going so well. :( The question is what to do now? DO we try to rebond or does Ash need to go back to Cuddly Critters? :cry: What would you do? And, don't say find new companions for both of them - 10 buns is quite enough!

No, Ash is a little boy. Nethie, neurered several months ago.

Oh right.

Personally I would not attempt to rebond two Rabbits if a fight has been bad enough to cause an injury requiring Veterinary attention. But that is just how I feel, I know that others have tried again.

They are even born in the same month and are about the same size. They are living in an outdoor aviary (9x7) with a 3x4 box thing to hide in or sit on top of.... There was some chasing by Ash although not in the last few days but no hair pulling out at all at any time so this is a shock.

It sounds to me like they've been given too much space too soon. I don't know how well up you are on bonding, but two weeks is far too soon to give them all that space (feel free to correct me on this anyone :wave:). You have to start with a very small space (eg.4x2) and only increase it by a couple of square feet at a time, and only after there's been 3 days with no humping or chasing or other territorial behaviour eg. Aggression. It's a very slow process. Also, did you bond on neutral territory? :wave:

I think it depends on the individual bunnies on what bonding process you go through. Personally I would try to rebond if this is the first time they showed real aggression. What were they doing when you found Rosa?

I would try rebonding on neutral territory in a small space where you can keep an eye on them for a few days/weeks. :thumb:

I think it depends on the individual bunnies on what bonding process you go through. Personally I would try to rebond if this is the first time they showed real aggression. What were they doing when you found Rosa?

I would try rebonding on neutral territory in a small space where you can keep an eye on them for a few days/weeks. :thumb:

that would be what I would do - we have had some really excellent and loving bonds even after quite major 'hiccups' in the process.

Hey Jill...sorry I only just saw this, I will empty my inbox!

Poor Rosa, sounds like things were going really well :(

I think I would be tempted to try again as it does sounds as if things were going well, maybe keep them inside longer and then only give them a little more space at a time...I think too much too soon or other bun smells could be the cause :-/

Back