• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fairly urgent - info needed if poss

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
Hi guys,

I'm at work but have had a text from my best friend saying her older sister has left her husband and my friend has had to take their rabbit in. She has no idea what to do with it and doesn't want to keep it, but she's calling me tonight for advice on how to keep it.

I know nothing about this particular rabbit and said I would email over some info this aft but work is mega busy and I haven't got much time.

Please could people post important info aimed at first time rabbit owners to make sure I don't miss anything

Thanks

Diet - hay, hay and more hay. Same food as the rabbit had before. Introduce green veg slowly. Carrots and fruit are treats, so only small amounts.
Housing - as big as possible, 6 foot hutch minimum. Rabbit may come in smaller accommodation but that's the ideal.
Behaviour - try and approach the rabbit from its own level, not above. If kept in smaller accommodation or not spayed my be hutch aggressive, but spaying, larger accommodation and lots of patience will sort this.

Unlimited access to hay and water are the 2 most important.

Keep away from other bunnies as they may fight until bonded.

And what Jenova said :)

Oh, and good luck :)

need to know if the bunny is used to a water bottle or bowl as bowl drinkers sometimes dont adjust quickly to a bottle!

This is what I've got so far (and thanks for the bits added at the end too! ;))

Don’t feed bun grass if it’s not used to it or could get seriously bad stomach
Can’t be kept in a small hutch without exercise as it’ll get bored, destructive and depressed. It can make them self-harm (yes really!!)
Don’t pick a bun up by scruff of its neck - put one hand under its front legs and MUST support the bum with other hand. If you don’t support it’s bum and it kicks, it can break its own back.
Don’t feed veg if it’s not used to it and stick to dark green cabbage/spring green, carrot and celery. One small leaf of greens, half a small carrot and a bit of celery is fine, don’t overfeed.
Hay is THE most important part of bun’s diet, should be at least 80% of their diet otherwise they can get bad teeth and stomachs
Make sure hutch/run is secure in case you have urban foxes you don’t know about! You don’t wanna come down one morning to find a headless body!
Poos should be big and golden, not small and dark (sorry!). It’s normal for buns to eat some of their poos coz they poo, then eat these poos, then poo them again. (yummy)
If it doesn’t have a litter tray, then it’s a lot easier than cleaning out the actual hutch for wee and poo. The bun will likely have a main toilet area with poos scattered too. (they mark their territory this way). Get a plastic litter tray/Tupperware (not too high at the sides) and fill with newspaper and straw/shredded paper. Litter tray will prob be ok for cleaning every 2 days if its a single bun.
Watch out for bun eating too much shredded paper as can cause stomach blockage and die/massive vets bills
Don’t use sawdust/shavings if you can help it as bad for buns respiratory system
Lumps and bumps and swollen genitals on bun is a sign of myxi – vets needed ASAP
Buns bum needs to be clean especially in warmer weather otherwise flies can hatch eggs on their bum and the larvae bury into the bun eating them alive (barf). Within 24 hours the bun is usually dead if Flystrike goes un-noticed. Rabbit food needs to be high in fibre to ensure clean bum and no sticky/runny poos.
Food should always be weaned into buns diet, not swapped straight away or they can get bad stomachs and be really ill/die
Never feed veg straight from fridge as buns can get bad stomach/die
Nails need to be kept short but don’t try and cut them yourself as they can bleed. Give me a shout and I’ll do them if they are long
Hutch should be 6 foot ideally
Don’t come to the bun head on as doesn’t see well straight on. Approach more from an angle and not from above but at its own level.
Bun may be aggressive if not neutered/bored/scared etc

Unlimited access to hay and water are the 2 most important.

Keep away from other bunnies as they may fight until bonded.

And what Jenova said :)

Oh, and good luck :)

Thanks for the reply. No other buns (she's not too impressed at having this one!) and I'm not sure if she's keeping it or just wanting advice on how best to look after it until she can find a new home. She had asked me originally if i wanted another bun but I don't so if she's not keeping it I'll point her in this direction and help her find a good home

The best way to pick up a rabbit is by the scruff, BUT the bottom must have instant support too. My rabbits become quite subdued when picking them up like this, which is a good thing as they don't struggle/risk harming themselves. I don't pick mine up like this (the vet does, she's brilliant) as I'm not confident of doing it without digging my nails into them as that would undoubtedly hurt like heck.

I'd say if the bun is stressed (and by the sound of it it will be) don't handle him/her too much, esp the first night. Let him/her settle in and give the poor thing somewhere safe and quiet to calm down. Also others before me have given bill advice re diet, but I'd be tempted not to feed any veg (or maybe a very little) the first night, again as it will be scared and stressed so I'd stick with the 'safe foods' ie hay and some rabbit food.

^ (don't know how to double quote!) thanks! Think I mentioned about not feeding veg if not used to it but will double check my list. Hadn't thought about leaving to settle either. Mad how we do things automatically ourselves but it's really hard to think of everything when you need to!

I personally don't like scruffing any animal but that's just personal opinion :)

Back