• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Running Loose

Okay, so yesterday I was walking Max (a big black Newfoundland doggy) with my friend and her family and as we neared the fence of their house I spotted a few chickens in a coop and run and a couple of buns in a funny type of pen which I presume is their home and overheard my friend's uncle say "one of the rabbits escaped whoever finds it and catches it can keep it" now he has several children but no one not one of his children or other family members seemed to care slightly about the poor bun who has escaped onto the industry territory(although you can't really call it that as it only is a few companies near each other). He/she(the bunny) was described as a very fuzzy black and white bun and I presume he/she hasn't been handled much. Now as here where I am (I'm abroad at the moment) there are not really any foxes there is a good chance he/she is still alive. The industry territory as I call it is next to a puzzle of streams/small rivers on the borders of them fairly long grass and plants grow. Now as you might be beginning to figure out I really want to catch this bun as I'm worried no one will bother but as I'm only staying where I am untill tomorrow morning and have lots of things to do aswell as look for the bun I will proberbly not succide. One the bun may be anywhere by now. Two, it may(but there's only a small chance of this) be caught already. Three, it may be dead. Four, it could be roaming the companies' areas where I can not go. Five, IF I find it I can only pick it up and carry it home as we don't have a carrier case and I've got little experience handling bunnies yet alone scared or angry ones. Six it may not be the right time of day to go look for it as it's nog dawn or dusk atm.

Any tips appreciated.

Oh poor bunny! Sounds unloved which is such a shame :(

I don't really have any advice to give you other than perhaps take a box with you just in case you manage to catch it? Pop some hay in there (not that it will eat it if it's frightened) and make sure the flaps of the box close over so it can't wriggle out. Rabbits can really wriggle when they're scared and it's amazing what size gaps they can squeeze through, too.

Good luck :) and let us know how you get on.

Oh! Take a net with you, something like a child's fishing net (but slightly bigger) so you can catch it like that maybe? It's unlikely you'll be able to walk up to it and pick it up - I have to pin mine to the floor in the garden and they're well-handled!

Oh poor bunny! Sounds unloved which is such a shame :(

I don't really have any advice to give you other than perhaps take a box with you just in case you manage to catch it? Pop some hay in there (not that it will eat it if it's frightened) and make sure the flaps of the box close over so it can't wriggle out. Rabbits can really wriggle when they're scared and it's amazing what size gaps they can squeeze through, too.

Good luck :) and let us know how you get on.

Oh! Take a net with you, something like a child's fishing net (but slightly bigger) so you can catch it like that maybe? It's unlikely you'll be able to walk up to it and pick it up - I have to pin mine to the floor in the garden and they're well-handled!

I wish I was at home in england with these sort of cases, it's easy to find a cardboard box or fishing net at home but here with the family i am staying they are always cleaning and removing that kind of things besides they only have one kid and he's a baby so has no use of a net yet :(
Thanks for the advice anyways. =)

try throwing a towel over the bunny, and then quietly approaching it place a laundry basket over it and put your hands under and scoop it up?

Thanks I feel more positive of catching it now if I find it and will be going out to have a look for it later but it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack. I wish there was such a thing as a bunlocater! :roll:

Oh dear, never mind at least you looked for it. Console yourself with the thought that someone else beat you to it and it's now nice and cosy somewhere :)

Back