• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking For Hay Bales in West Yorkshire

happybunny

Mama Doe
Does anyone know of any farms / shops that have the small hay bales in stock in the West Yorkshire (Leeds) area?

All the ones I know of either have none in stock or have gone out of business.

I usually buy 6 a month so am dreading having to buy pet shop hay.

Does anyone know of any farms / shops that have the small hay bales in stock in the West Yorkshire (Leeds) area?

All the ones I know of either have none in stock or have gone out of business.

I usually buy 6 a month so am dreading having to buy pet shop hay.

Have you tried Peckfields? I know they sell small bales but have no idea how much as
I bring mine home from the yard.
Peckfields is at the top of Garforth Cliff :wave:

I usually get a delivery from the Blue Barn, but they're out of hay until mid-August. (That's probably one of the ones you're referring to.)

I just got a delivery from Foss Feeds instead. They said they didn't have any supply problems. They're in York though, so I don't know if they deliver as far as West Yorkshire.

My usual sources are:

Burnhills Feeds in Cleckheaton - my regular supplier. Not usually any supply problems. They do deliveries. Not sure if that includes hay, but worth asking.

Blue Barn, Otley - always lovely stuff. £5.50 a bale.Was rationed a few weeks ago.Shame if they have none left now.

Wyke Animal Feeds, Wyke, Bradford - similar price. They also have a riding school, so should be decent hay.

The first two have already been mentioned by others.

Have just logged on to check for hay recommendations as found out Blue Barn are out until August, looks like a lot of us Yorkshire folk are in the same boat!

Have had a look and they all seem very expensive or am I getting confused?! :oops:

I usually pay £5.50 from Blue Barn for a bale which fits snugly in my 206 boot....?

The Burnhill price includes price for a bag - you can get cheaper hay but it's more coarse and dusty, ask for the 'soft bale' at Burnhills and you'll get nice green hay with little dust and little bits of clover in and amongst.

:D

My usual sources are:

Burnhills Feeds in Cleckheaton - my regular supplier. Not usually any supply problems. They do deliveries. Not sure if that includes hay, but worth asking.

Blue Barn, Otley - always lovely stuff. £5.50 a bale.Was rationed a few weeks ago.Shame if they have none left now.

Wyke Animal Feeds, Wyke, Bradford - similar price. They also have a riding school, so should be decent hay.

The first two have already been mentioned by others.

Yeah, I put in an order with the Blue Barn last Monday. They said I could only have two bales, but when the delivery came on Tuesday morning it was just the Megazorb and Excel :( It was a bit of a panic to find somewhere else with 20 buns here! Foss Feeds is cheaper at £5 a bale, but the quality isn't quite as good as BB.

I feel bad for the BB, as they've lost a lot of money from me (and probably lots of other people) until August, and the delivery guy is so nice, always helping to carry the stuff out the back for me. :( I hope they can carry on with such a loss. Stupid weather :evil:

I got a Blue Barn bale once but found it very dusty. Is that not normal?
If not I might give it another go next time they have it in.

I find BB hay very mixed. Sometime fab, some very very dusty and sometime something inbetween.

I ordered 6 bales from them 3 weeks ago and only 4 turned up - the note just said reorder next time. No mention of no stock until August. I called last week to reorder and was just told no stock and no idea when they would have more. Was pure luck we were able to buy 3 bales from someone that did not need them.

We are going to try Pickfields on Saturday.

Yeah, I put in an order with the Blue Barn last Monday. They said I could only have two bales, but when the delivery came on Tuesday morning it was just the Megazorb and Excel :( It was a bit of a panic to find somewhere else with 20 buns here! Foss Feeds is cheaper at £5 a bale, but the quality isn't quite as good as BB.

I feel bad for the BB, as they've lost a lot of money from me (and probably lots of other people) until August, and the delivery guy is so nice, always helping to carry the stuff out the back for me. :( I hope they can carry on with such a loss. Stupid weather :evil:

Can you order online from Foss Feeds? I can't see anywhere to but don't know if I'm being daft!!

ETA: Just called them and it's £9 for an unwrapped bale!??? Isn't that expensive? :?

Last edited:
If you have the space, it might be worth buying a big round one - I get for £20:D Quality varies -I would say very good Oct - Jul, then tails off a bit Aug/Sept as waiting for new stuff

Can you order online from Foss Feeds? I can't see anywhere to but don't know if I'm being daft!!

ETA: Just called them and it's £9 for an unwrapped bale!??? Isn't that expensive? :?

I don't think you can order online, I phoned them. It's £9 for the fancy stuff, or £5 for the regular stuff. I just bought 6 bales of the regular stuff and the buns love it! I have no idea what the fancy stuff is like.

There is an agricultural merchants in Halifax called Coton and Ellis, I haven't used them yet but was planning on doing so when I need hay next.

I'm going to ring them tomorrow to find out how much a bale is, I'm also hoping as they sell lots of horse stuff they might just have Megazorb.

No website I'm afraid they only have one for the car side of the business.

Back