PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Hay Bales in West Yorkshire

happybunny
21-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Does anyone know of any farms / shops that have the small hay bales in stock in the West Yorkshire (Leeds) area?

All the ones I know of either have none in stock or have gone out of business.

I usually buy 6 a month so am dreading having to buy pet shop hay.

xlaurax
21-05-2012, 01:51 PM
I live in Wakefield and had similar problems to you! I just ordered mine from www.hayforpets.co.uk

littleboots
21-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Does anyone know of any farms / shops that have the small hay bales in stock in the West Yorkshire (Leeds) area?

All the ones I know of either have none in stock or have gone out of business.

I usually buy 6 a month so am dreading having to buy pet shop hay.

Have you tried Peckfields? I know they sell small bales but have no idea how much as
I bring mine home from the yard.
Peckfields is at the top of Garforth Cliff :wave:

Captain Helen
21-05-2012, 01:53 PM
I usually get a delivery from the Blue Barn, but they're out of hay until mid-August. (That's probably one of the ones you're referring to.)

I just got a delivery from Foss Feeds instead. They said they didn't have any supply problems. They're in York though, so I don't know if they deliver as far as West Yorkshire.

bumblicious
21-05-2012, 01:56 PM
I live near Wakefield and we've only just started the bunnies on farm hay bale last time I got it from Bentley Grange

http://www.bentleygrange.co.uk/

Ruthie xxx

happybunny
21-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Thank you everyone!!!

Lots to check out. :D:D:D

Jaysmonkey
21-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Hi, I'm in Wakefield and get my farm bales from Burnhills in Cleckheaton http://www.burnhills.com/

bumblicious
21-05-2012, 02:14 PM
I think I might save this thread myself for if they run out of bales at my place

Ruthie xxx

missniknak
21-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Hi, I'm in Wakefield and get my farm bales from Burnhills in Cleckheaton http://www.burnhills.com/

:thumb: I got a bale from here on Saturday for 7 - thanks for the recommendation Stef!

Shimmer
21-05-2012, 10:21 PM
My usual sources are:

Burnhills Feeds in Cleckheaton - my regular supplier. Not usually any supply problems. They do deliveries. Not sure if that includes hay, but worth asking.

Blue Barn, Otley - always lovely stuff. 5.50 a bale.Was rationed a few weeks ago.Shame if they have none left now.

Wyke Animal Feeds, Wyke, Bradford - similar price. They also have a riding school, so should be decent hay.

The first two have already been mentioned by others.

p_prod_uk
22-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Have just logged on to check for hay recommendations as found out Blue Barn are out until August, looks like a lot of us Yorkshire folk are in the same boat!

p_prod_uk
22-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Have had a look and they all seem very expensive or am I getting confused?! :oops:

I usually pay 5.50 from Blue Barn for a bale which fits snugly in my 206 boot....?

Jaysmonkey
22-05-2012, 12:05 PM
The Burnhill price includes price for a bag - you can get cheaper hay but it's more coarse and dusty, ask for the 'soft bale' at Burnhills and you'll get nice green hay with little dust and little bits of clover in and amongst.

:D

Captain Helen
22-05-2012, 12:09 PM
My usual sources are:

Burnhills Feeds in Cleckheaton - my regular supplier. Not usually any supply problems. They do deliveries. Not sure if that includes hay, but worth asking.

Blue Barn, Otley - always lovely stuff. 5.50 a bale.Was rationed a few weeks ago.Shame if they have none left now.

Wyke Animal Feeds, Wyke, Bradford - similar price. They also have a riding school, so should be decent hay.

The first two have already been mentioned by others.

Yeah, I put in an order with the Blue Barn last Monday. They said I could only have two bales, but when the delivery came on Tuesday morning it was just the Megazorb and Excel :( It was a bit of a panic to find somewhere else with 20 buns here! Foss Feeds is cheaper at 5 a bale, but the quality isn't quite as good as BB.

I feel bad for the BB, as they've lost a lot of money from me (and probably lots of other people) until August, and the delivery guy is so nice, always helping to carry the stuff out the back for me. :( I hope they can carry on with such a loss. Stupid weather :evil:

esupi
22-05-2012, 12:22 PM
I got a Blue Barn bale once but found it very dusty. Is that not normal?
If not I might give it another go next time they have it in.

happybunny
22-05-2012, 12:35 PM
I find BB hay very mixed. Sometime fab, some very very dusty and sometime something inbetween.

I ordered 6 bales from them 3 weeks ago and only 4 turned up - the note just said reorder next time. No mention of no stock until August. I called last week to reorder and was just told no stock and no idea when they would have more. Was pure luck we were able to buy 3 bales from someone that did not need them.

We are going to try Pickfields on Saturday.

p_prod_uk
22-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I put in an order with the Blue Barn last Monday. They said I could only have two bales, but when the delivery came on Tuesday morning it was just the Megazorb and Excel :( It was a bit of a panic to find somewhere else with 20 buns here! Foss Feeds is cheaper at 5 a bale, but the quality isn't quite as good as BB.

I feel bad for the BB, as they've lost a lot of money from me (and probably lots of other people) until August, and the delivery guy is so nice, always helping to carry the stuff out the back for me. :( I hope they can carry on with such a loss. Stupid weather :evil:

Can you order online from Foss Feeds? I can't see anywhere to but don't know if I'm being daft!!

ETA: Just called them and it's 9 for an unwrapped bale!??? Isn't that expensive? :?

Angie65
22-05-2012, 01:27 PM
If you have the space, it might be worth buying a big round one - I get for 20:D Quality varies -I would say very good Oct - Jul, then tails off a bit Aug/Sept as waiting for new stuff

Captain Helen
22-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Can you order online from Foss Feeds? I can't see anywhere to but don't know if I'm being daft!!

ETA: Just called them and it's 9 for an unwrapped bale!??? Isn't that expensive? :?

I don't think you can order online, I phoned them. It's 9 for the fancy stuff, or 5 for the regular stuff. I just bought 6 bales of the regular stuff and the buns love it! I have no idea what the fancy stuff is like.

Dave81
22-05-2012, 09:30 PM
There is an agricultural merchants in Halifax called Coton and Ellis, I haven't used them yet but was planning on doing so when I need hay next.

I'm going to ring them tomorrow to find out how much a bale is, I'm also hoping as they sell lots of horse stuff they might just have Megazorb.

No website I'm afraid they only have one for the car side of the business.

Dave81
22-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Oh I forgot there is also Exley Hall Farm. I've not used them as yet.

http://www.haylageyorkshire.co.uk/index.html

I asked about the hay and local delivery as it's near me, this is the response I got.

Many thanks for your enquiry. Large square (7'6"X80cmX90cm) are 55 at farm or 60 delivered. There are 14-16 small bales to one of these and the hay is excellent quality. You are most welcome to come and look without obligation.

bumblicious
07-07-2012, 09:59 AM
:thumb: I got a bale from here on Saturday for 7 - thanks for the recommendation Stef!

Can you go pick them up? Do you know their phone number so I can see if they've got them in stock? I can't find it and I can't go unless I know it's worth it

Ruthie xxx

missniknak
07-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Can you go pick them up? Do you know their phone number so I can see if they've got them in stock? I can't find it and I can't go unless I know it's worth it

Ruthie xxx

You can pick them up and they always seem to have them in stock - www.burn hills.com

bumblicious
08-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Thanks I got a bale would have rather got one from bentley grange as burnhills is more expensive for a bale and for petrol there but they were out of stock

Ruthie xxx