• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does anyone have info/experience of mammary tumours, particularly in spayed females?

Tracy

Warren Veteran
As per the title, please :wave:

Sugar had a lump removed on Friday, plus quite a lot of the surrounding tissue, and I'm waiting for the results. I just want to learn and understand a bit about mammary tumours in rabbits, how they spread, how quickly etc, just in case we are facing the worst. :( I just want to be prepared.

I've got FHB's Textbook of Rabbit Medicine, but can't find much about it in there. I've done a search on the internet, loads of stuff comes up but I want to be sure I'm reading reliable info and not rubbish.

Sugar was spayed at about a year old and she is 4 now. Until now I didn't realise that females spayed early in life were still at risk of mammary tumours. My vet said that it's not common, but it is still possible. :(

Thanks in advance.

Tracy

Yes, Smoo was spayed at BARC before I adopted her. They found she had hydrometra and everything was removed. My vet said there is a very tiny chance that that could have made it more likely for her to have a mammary tumour.

We don't know exactly how old Smoo is but Angie estimated her at about 4 when I adopted her, she was spayed about three months before and she would be about 6 now.

How is Sugar doing?

Yes, Smoo was spayed at BARC before I adopted her. They found she had hydrometra and everything was removed. My vet said there is a very tiny chance that that could have made it more likely for her to have a mammary tumour.

We don't know exactly how old Smoo is but Angie estimated her at about 4 when I adopted her, she was spayed about three months before and she would be about 6 now.

How is Sugar doing?

Sugar has recovered from the op. She has a big wound on her stomach, but it's healing really well and quickly too. She took a while to get over the anaesthetic and we had to syringe feed her for the whole of Saturday, but by Sunday her appetite had returned and she was back to her normal greedy self.

We should get the results back sometime this week. I'm just keeping everything crossed that it's not cancer.

Mitzi came to us just over a year ago aged 8 unspayed, we decided because of her age not to spay her. She did have a lump but the vet recommended we leave it unless it grew. It started to grow earlier this year and is mammary cancer, she did not do well under the anaesthetic but did recover and is happy for the moment. Our biggest concern now is whether it produces a secondary cancer ( usually in the lungs).
Unfortunately we have just discovered one of our cats has lUng cancer, a secondary from mammary cancer, again which she arrived with- I suspect because her owner disn't get her spayed until she had a pyometra at the age of 7.

Mammary Cancer

Sugar has recovered from the op. She has a big wound on her stomach, but it's healing really well and quickly too. She took a while to get over the anaesthetic and we had to syringe feed her for the whole of Saturday, but by Sunday her appetite had returned and she was back to her normal greedy self.

We should get the results back sometime this week. I'm just keeping everything crossed that it's not cancer.

Hi how's Sugar??

My lion head cross, 7 yr old doe "Roxy" has been diagnosed with mammary cancer! Only found out early evening and been devastated since. She's having BT tomo to see how kidneys and organs are doing as she's being urinating lots!!

The vet can operate yes it will be expensive but as she's 7yrs old there are risks with GA? We haven't discussed aftercare or treatment yet. I should get blood test results by end of this week.

How is Sugar and was her aftercare easy?? Roxy lives outside in hutch at night but is free range in our big garden and loves to come indoors. Did you have Sugar live in doors for recovery and how long for???

Any advice is appreciated ;)

Back