• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

P@H VIP buns - email to a vet nurse

BeeBee

Mama Doe
I know this topic has been covered a lot but I've just received the following email from a friend which contains the content of an email a veterinary nurse received from p@h in relation to their VIP buns.

Sorry if this has already been covered - **warning - surgical procedures detailed**

FOR THOSE THAT MISSED THIS BEFORE. THIS IS THE RESPONSE A VN RECEIVED WHEN ENQUIRING ABOUT THE VIP RABBITS.

Many thanks for your email and my apologies for the delay in reply to your queries.

In relation to our VIP rabbits, they come from a breeder on the continent, their facilities have been inspected by our Pets at home Head of Pets, who herself is an experienced Veterinary Surgeon. The rabbit...s are neutered at 5 weeks, microchipped and vaccinated against Myxomatosis at 4 weeks and VHD at 6 weeks, however we recommend topping up the VHD vaccine at 12 weeks of age. They are 8 weeks old when we first offer them for sale.

I have detailed the responses below which have been discussed with our Head of Pets who is a qualified Veterinary Surgeon.

Both Does and Bucks are neutered at 5 weeks of age, I have detailed the method below for you which the vet has provided, I can confirm that this procedure is not performed using a “special needle”;

The protocol the vet uses is as follows:
- Pain management with Butorphanol IM and Meloxicam SQ, 30 minutes before surgery.
- Pre-oxygenation with 100% O2 for 3 minutes before face mask induction.
- Anaesthesia induction by face-mask with Isoflurane 3%, and maintenance with the same product at 1.5-2%. Oxygen is maintained at 1%.
- External temperature support during all the surgery and few hours postoperatively with an electrical heating pad.

The vet proceeds to clean and disinfect the surgical site with povidone-iodine and a small amounts of alcohol. On the male the access is through two incisions made on the scrotum and externalisation of the testicles by gently external manipulation of the inguinal canal from cranial to caudal. The ligation and excision of the testicles is performed with the aid of a bipolar electrocautery. The bleeding is non-existent or minimal and the skin incision is closed with surgical glue (from 3M or BBraun Vetcare). The females are operated on through a small midline incision and the ovaries and uterus are excised with the aid of the bipolar electrocautery. The closure of the incision in the female is made with one or two absorbable sutures (monosyn 3-4/0), respecting the various layers.

The rabbits wake up from the anaesthesia quickly and the rabbits recover well. After surgery all the rabbits receive a SQ dose of a long acting antibiotic that ensures antibiotic coverage for 48 hr. Rabbits are regularly checked post op and in the days following the surgery. The Myxomatosis vaccine is done a week before the surgery and the VHD a week after to minimise the stress.

Their vet has confirmed that they find they suffer from less problems due to their young age. This is a small trial which includes a maximum of 16 stores at any one time out of 314 stores, for example we only received 26 neutered rabbits into our stores as part of the trial last week. We’re paying extra to ensure that they are transported by air so the journey time is limited and the early signs are that the rabbits are doing very well following transport. We are resting them after the journey, they are not delivered straight to stores and they get a week’s rest and quarantine to ensure that the rabbits are healthy and happy before they are available to customers. They have confirmed that they do not get higher rates than when done at an older age and in fact recovery is quicker when done at the younger age. In relation to long term affects there have been no adverse affects reported so far.

I can confirm that our trial has now finished. We are very pleased with the results which have been successful in achieving what we set out to accomplish.

Our aim was to establish whether there was a demand in the UK for rabbits that have been vaccinated and/or neutered. Following this trial we can confirm that this is certainly the case, showing there has been a positive response from prospective rabbit owners for neutered and vaccinated rabbits. We know that ultimately this process will offer welfare benefits for the rabbits, removing the risk of unwanted pregnancies and womb cancer later in life (a very common problem in female rabbits), as well as a substantial saving for customers from having to pay for vaccinations and neutering at a later date. We know that rabbits are social and a male and female pair is the best pairing, so being able to neuter and vaccinate is key to helping us promote responsible pet ownership and ensuring that the animals in our care go on to live happy, healthy lives.

It is our intention, now the trial has been successful, to work with our UK breeders to roll this out. In the first instance we will focus on being able to offer vaccinated and micro chipped rabbits. At the same time we will look to fund a study into early neutering. Rest assured that Pets at Home is consulting fully with leading rabbit welfare organisations and veterinary professionals throughout this process.

:wave: yes, that has already been covered (though probably lost in the depths of one of the long threads!).

It prompted several interesting points, for instance the buns are gassed down with isofluorane - which is considered bad practice as it prompts breath holding and is incredibly stressful to the rabbits...hence they have to give pure oxygen for 3 minutes first. Plus it refers to removing male testickes through an incision in the scrotum, and I don't know about you, but I've never seen a scrotal sac on a 5 week old rabbit!

For now it looks as if the trial has stopped anyway so it will be interesting to see if pah have decided there is enough demand to look into selling neutered rabbits in their stores...who have been bred and neutered in the uk at an appropriate age!

sorry - I lost track of the main thread and just had the email through today

Mods- if you need to close the thread feel free too :wave:

Back