• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hunching after eating

Martin7

Warren Scout
Hi All:)

He was in stasis, and his pooping still isnt fully normal... he did have some slighly mucoid poops when he first started to poop again last week, but sometimes they seem ok, then were shrinking again, then ok again, then nice and golden, then soft and dark, then golden again etc...

His appatite is fine, hes very enthusiastic for his food, mostly active

but he's not been flopping like he always used to, and after he's eating he seems to hunch and look uncomftortable for a while, A couple of times he ground his teeth so I've increased his metacam slightly.. but then he will suddenly perk up, and go back to his food dish again and eat some more..

I've spent days on the net looking at various things, but can't seem to find anything that relates to a rabbit feeling discomfort right after eating (though it seems to be mostly after he's ate pellets) yet it's not putting him off his food.. has anyone experienced this

He's getting plenty of fiber but he can't eat hay so he has Bunny basics sprinkled on his pellets etc

:>?

Hi Mamma Kalamity

I've been wondering that too.. whilst he was under the GA when he had his dental, they had a good feel then, and said it was fine.. and the last time I took him to the vets last week he had a feel too and said it was fine, I guess the only way to know for sure would be an xray.. but there isn't as much coming out as going in, though I know recovery from stasis can sometimes take a while and be a kind of stop and start affair.. but he seems pretty fed up even though he's eating and mostly active, still gets excited for treats and chasing teddy, but the fact he's not flopping too just isnt like him, he was always flopping..

I would go back to the Vet if you feel that there is still something 'not right'. Whilst searching online for information can be helpful, it can never illicit enough information to give a definitive diagnosis. A 'hands on' examination and possibly a diagnostic work-up are always necessary.

Good luck

As Jane says I would consult a vet but from personal experience my Evan can't handle anything concentrated so no pellets and treats only hay and veg

It looks like I will take him back to the vets.. :roll: sigh!..

I hope he can eat pellets though, because if he can't were really in trouble, because he can't eat hay either:(......

I've switched him back to his usual food, SS cut out his spring green, and carrot..

He's still eating and seems enthusiastic for food, but will hunch after hes eaten, then maybe a few mins later will go back for more.. but he's still not himself..

thanks

Back