• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I can't forget about a rabbit! :( U/D P.51 Bad news again

I'd seen a rabbit for adoption at my local rescue centre. I though he sounded like a lovely bunny; friendly and loved cuddles. :love: It also said he was extremely good at jumping so I thought he'd love to do a bit of rabbit jumping like Hector does. A few weeks after seeing the bunny online, Mischief passed away due to an abscess in his jaw. It was one of the most heartbreaking experiences of my life. :cry: I'm filled with guilt about something that happened the night he died though...

I woke up to check on Mischief in the night. He seemed tired but ok so I tried to get back to sleep. When I was trying to sleep I had a flashing image in my mind of the rabbit at my local rescue. :? I was disgusted at myself; how I could think of another rabbit when my poor Mischief was dying?! :cry: :cry:

It was about 10 minutes later when I don't know why but I just felt I had to check on Mischief one more time, something didn't seem right. It was then that he was trying to pass away. :cry: I picked him up and he slipped away in my arms. :cry: :cry: :cry: I miss him more than anything and I feel so guilty that I had this image of the rescue bunny in my head! :censored: I've kept quiet about it for so long but I had to tell someone. I told my mum and she said maybe it was a message from Mischief telling me I need to adopt the rescue bunny. I don't know though. I'd just feel like I was replacing him. I just want someone to adopt the rescue bun so I can forget about the thought in my mind. :cry:

Last edited:
Don't feel bad, getting another rabbit would not be replacing Mischief, each rabbit is an individual and different so no rabbit could ever replace Mischief and nobody would think you were trying to replace him if you got this rabbit. It sounds like you could be the perfect owner for this rabbit, so if you want to get him/her then don't feel bad, you would be giving a homeless rabbit a home.

You can't ever replace a friend; your heart just expands to add more and more love into it and more friends.

I would think it may be more of a gift from Mischief.

You thought about a rabbit in need, that does not make you a bad bunny mummy, you were getting up multiple times in the night to check on a bunny that you said seemed "OK" that sounds very loving and dedicated to me.

You are clearly grieving and miss Mischief very much and so you cannot ever replace him, but getting a rescue bun will not be doing that I say go for it. At least inquire, the re-home process can drag a bit and you don't have to feel like the bun will be rushed into your house. I love the idea your mum had that it was Mischief communicating with you, helping another would be a fitting legacy.

I am very sorry for your loss, Mischief was greatly loved.

You can look at it one for two ways. One your rabbits are so happy with you, you're a great owner. Mischief was so happy for you and he knew his time was coming to an end, so all he wanted was for another rabbit to be able to have the life he did.

The other way to think about it is how I am with Grim. Every time I think he's going to leave me I just worry about Smoo. My mind starts to think about other rabbits and how I would feel about getting another rabbit to bond with her, because I know I would have to do it. It's not betraying Grim, I think most people in our position would start to have thoughts like that. They're only thoughts. They don't diminish the amount of love we have for our rabbits.

I felt people would think I was replacing Oscar for reserving two bunnies after losing him but I don't think you can ever replace a rabbit. I know it's difficult to think of looking after a rabbit and it not being mischief but your lucky to be able to save another rabbit and to give it a loving home. I know that as Oscar was from a rescue, I feel he would also want me to give a loving home to two more buns. You have the opportunity to share yet more love with another rabbit, but that will never replace mischief xx

Getting another rescue rabbit isn't replacing your lost one. It's just you have enough love in your heart to give it to another being. It's what our departed animals would want, to give a rescue animal the life they enjoyed. It's why I got my boys. I will never love them the same as my girl, but I have given them their forever home and will give them everything they ever need and want. They help us to heal, and we give them the life they deserve.
This picture helped to make my mind up when I lost my girl, and was weighing up whether I could face getting another bun/bunnies.

3.jpg

i dont think youd ever try to replace mischief he was a one and only bun :)
i kinda felt a bit like you do when i lost dec and had to consider ant and amy
it felt too wrong but she needs another bun and as bad as i feel its best for her
i think what your mum said is right that mischief is trying to tell u to save another buns life he must have know
anway the main thing is dont feel bad about it he had a amazing life in has a fab bunny mum and he knew that for sure :love:

Thank you, I might wait until I get back from my holiday in July and if he's still there I might enquire. If it's meant to be he'll still be there but I hope he finds a home.

Also, I'm really sorry Bouncing bunnies, I didn't know Oscar had passed away. :cry: Binky free Oscar :love:

Thank you, I might wait until I get back from my holiday in July and if he's still there I might enquire. If it's meant to be he'll still be there but I hope he finds a home.

Also, I'm really sorry Bouncing bunnies, I didn't know Oscar had passed away. :cry: Binky free Oscar :love:

If you really cant forget him then you will always wonder what happened to him - I still have some that tug on my memories despite only seeing them for a brief time - sometimes only a few moments . .

Think of the life you would give the bunny hun ... Mischief was and still is loved massively and he will be binkying away at rainbow bridge knowing that any bunny would be lucky to have you as their mum.

Try not to beat yourself up over it sweetie x

If you really cant forget him then you will always wonder what happened to him - I still have some that tug on my memories despite only seeing them for a brief time - sometimes only a few moments . .

That's true. :( I keep going back to look at him, this is his description:

Bluey is a very gentle rabbit, he is very friendly, loves food and enjoys being handled. Bluey will require very secure accommodation as he is good at escaping and is surprisingly good at jumping.

He sounds just like Hector and Tinkerbell because they are friendly and obsessed with food too! :shock: They've recently started trying to escape from their aviary after they were free-ranging last week and enjoyed it so much! :lol: I now have to buy part of a runaround system so they can have a tunnel to a run on the grass. :love: Also, Hector does rabbit jumping which he loves, going over little hurdles. :) I think Bluey would like it as it says he is surprisingly good at jumping. He sounds like a lovely bun and my mum actually asked if I wanted him which was strange. :shock: I don't know if it's the right thing to do though. :(

I might contact the centre to see if I can volunteer there, might get to see him in real life if I do that too.

Awww, I remember you showing me that little bunny!:love:

I can't really add to what others have said, but you would never be replacing Mischief, I don't think that would be possible even if you tried, your such a caring person, Mischief will always have his own little place in your heart. :love:

I hope you're able to go and see him. You have to feel that it's the right thing to do, maybe Mischief did want you to give this little bunny a home, so he could have a life full of love just like Mischief did.
I would say go for it!:p (we're really not good for each other are we!!;):lol: ) But really its up to you, easier said than done, but do what you feel is right.:love:

Thanks for the replies. :)

I might wait until after my summer holiday because...

Originally we booked the buns in for boarding and there were 3 of them. Then we had to get in touch to say it would now only be 2 as mischief passed away. :cry: To adopt this bun, bond him with the others and ring up the boarding place to say it's 3 rabbits again now would feel so wrong. It would seem like one bun's gone so here's another one. I could never do that to my Mischief. He was too special.

If said bunny is still in the rescue by the time I'm home then I'll know he's mine and that it's meant to be. If he goes, at least he will get a good home with someone else.

Mischief knows that he has your love. Your cared for him and loved him. I am sure that he would want you to give that love to another bunny that needs it. He will be at Rainbow Bridge happy knowing that you are helping other buns and giving them a place to call home.

Back