• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding an elderly bun...

vick

Alpha Buck
Has anyone ever tried to bond an elderly and poorly bunny? Daisy is almost 10 years old and isn't in the best of health but I worry about her being on her own. She has known and loved two husbuns during her lifetime and if she was in good health I wouldn't be questioning bonding her with another. The problem is that she has a heart murmur, arthritis and spondylosis. We have to medicate her every day and as she's not a cuddly bun she will always try to evade capture, stresses herself out and if we haven't managed to catch her first time she often collapses. Any kind of exertion is too much for her. When we bonded her with Monty humped her constantly for a couple of days and while she sat there and took it I'm not sure I'd feel happy about putting her through that again.

I really don't know what to do for the best. Any advice would be gratefully received.

If she is collapsing from the stress of being medicated then I would be very reluctant to bond her again. I always stress a lot bonding our elderly buns because of the stress involved. If I do go a head then I always try to make sure that it is with a very docile bunny so there will be very little chasing etc. If it does look like it will take a while to settle then often I wont carry on with it as it is not worth the risk on their health.

Saying that is is always lovely to find love for an elderly bunny :love:

I bonded Dylan and Molly into a quad earlier this year. Dylan is elderly and on daily metacam for his arthritis. He also has a recurrent eye problem.

I was very worried about the bond but it meant the buns having double the space than if I had kept them as two pairs. Looking ahead (and I hope no-one thinks I am being heartless), it will make life easier for Molly when Dylan goes to the Bridge if she has other companions.

I kept a close eye on Dylan during the bond and I would have stopped it if he had become at all stressed but he was fine, even when Frangipan started humping him.

It worked well for me and was a relatively easy bond.

Back