• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kittens and rabbits

Pipkin01

Warren Scout
I'm hand rearing two six day old kittens at the moment. I also have two rabbits who free range in the living room when we're at home to supervise them. If I was to keep the kittens (my husband is still being worked on at the moment ;)) do people think they would get on well together if I was introduce them as soon as possible?

There are lots of examples on here of people who have bunnies and cats, and they generally seem to get on very well. In fact there was a picture yesterday of a cat and a bun sharing a bed, can't remember who posted it though. The fact that you have them so young can only be a good thing. That said, I still would never trust a cat 100% with a bun, if I were going out I would make sure they were seperated and couldn't get to each other, for that 'just in case' factor.

If you do, please never leave them unsupervised and be aware that one, even playful, swipe from a cat can be the end of the bunny. Yes, there are examples of it working, but there are plenty of examples of it not working, and also some of it having devastating consequences too.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a cat/bunny household, as long as the bunnies are not scared, however, it has to be done in a sensible way in my opinion.

I have eight cats and eleven buns and they all live very harmoniously together but I would be careful when the cat kitties are playing as they tend to use their claws more than adult cats and could hurt one of the buns without meaning to.

My buns and cats live together totally unsupervised but I wouldn't leave a young kitten with a bunny or a cat with a young bunny unsupervised.

Back