• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sagging ear

weedug

Mama Doe
This is probably a really dim question, but what could cause a buns uppy ear to droop (always same one), his face to sag a bit on same side, and for him to lean towards the droopy side?

If he were human I'd say possible stroke, but would the symptoms be the same for a bun?

If the infection is in the middle ear it usually requires skull radiographs to diagnose it.

Thanks Jane, I'll mention that to them tomorrow. Although since he has been on the anaesthetic eye drops, his ear hasn't been sagging much :?

Thanks Jane, I'll mention that to them tomorrow. Although since he has been on the anaesthetic eye drops, his ear hasn't been sagging much :?

I was going to say abscess, but actually now I think of it sometimes Grim's face does that a little bit. If you get to the bottom of it and find out why please let me know. I thought it was just because of all the things wrong with him. He's a lop though so I can't tell by his ears. Inner ear infection sounds a sensible guess. :(

An ear infection would make sense, thinking about it :(

Timmy had an upper respiratory tract infection last year, which he had Septrin for. He seemed to pick up generally when he was on the Septrin, but went miserable again when it was finished. My vet put him back on it for a short while, and the same thing happened, so he was put on it for a longer time.

He has been deteriorating for a couple of months or so now, so it was decided to stop the Septrin about 3 weeks ago. Now he has had no interest in anything and is obviously in pain. The anaesthetic eye drops he has been given help a bit, but there seems to be something still not right.

On this link there is a good description of how bacteria can spread from the upper respiratory tract throughout the body- eg from the nose to the ears

There is also reference to a facial palsy

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

Thank you Jane, I'll take note of all this for our appointment today.

I am sure, even before ear infection was mentioned, that there is something else going on, and not just his eye ulcers.

Back