• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

respiratory failure, vibes needed urgently for Angel

winnies angel

Mama Doe
Angel bun as you know has mouthy disease which shuts down her tear ducts (shes on metacam and eyedrops all the time) her eye is always white thick gucky and ges bad or ok depending on when denntal is due.
She had her dental 2 weeks ago but the week before that I took her in as her eye was smelling (infected hppened before) the vet couldn't flush it but said she would try when she had dental. She tried under GA but still wouldn't flush but it was badly infected sent us home with more drops.
Last weekedn her eye got a lot worse and the smell was pretty bad also so we took her tues to vet as she was snorting a bit too blocked nose, (this has happened before her nose becomes in fected aswell) so she was giving penicillin injections every 2 days and double metcam.
I rang back wed and aid her breathing was getting worse the vet said not to worry it will get a lot wosre before it gets better!
Went to pick up more injections friday and vet had decide to change from penicillin to bioclop and mioclop (something like that for breaking down the mucus that is in her throat and steroid stop metacam) we rang sat morn as her breathing is much worse her nose is crusty she cant breathe through it took her in and vet has said its respiritory failure and not a lot we can do. Carry on with meds but she is dying and that if we think we can admit her for oxygen/nebuliser chamber. Sent us home with more pencillin to inject on tuesday go back friday.
We went to BB and got nebuliser and putting her in that her nose today is all white snots and her eyes also.
If she is dying why has she been sent home? If her body is giving up why is she eating or trying to running in garden for wees and grooming herself she is still fighting!

What else can we do?

maybe nebulise the meds? get it right to where it's needed? sorry i don't know really. sending loads of vibes though. xxx

shes just had 3 spoonfuls of baby food! gonna try and get more critical care into her syringe that. and back in nebusliser. Her nose is soo runny im hoping this is the start of it clearing!

oh god this awful. I think keep pushing for more treatment. If you have a 'feeling' they are not doing all they can, then trust it. I have regreted in the past not speaking up, but never regret speaking.

Hopefully Jane or Sky O will see this and be able to offer some advice ??? :?

If the vet has said her organs are shutting down and shes dying though would she really send her home with next meds to inject for tues and say shell see her back next friday? Surely a vet would come under cruelty if she thought she was suffering and sent her home when she should be put to sleep. I dont understand what has changed from the beginning of the week and from phoning and the vet saying it will get worse (it hasnt actually got worse stayed the same) to yeah she is dying. Its killing me I cant help her. She isn't gasping as such for breath (like the video on here with the bun and his nose up in the air) sh is breathing through mouth and you can hear it as though she was bunged up with cold but she is just lying with head in normal bunny position.
Also if her organs were faiing would she really be keep trying to eat and grooming herself?

I would never let her suffer and that was my first thoughts is it time but shes fighting so shouldn't we?!

I would get her back to the vet asap. Get a second opinion. I agree, it's not fair to say come back later. Sounds like she needs to be admitted and intensive care. I'm no expert but I would imagine a bun who is mouth breathing needs oxygen! Please call the vets now xx

Back