• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Soo Confusing..cant figure where he is at

Martin7

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone..

I already posted a while back my bun went into a stasis because of a dental which was sorted..

but I just cant figure out where were at or if there is something else going on

When there was no poops at all coming out, he was really bouncy and happy and flopping and full of mischeif (right after his dental was the brightest I'd seen him for a while) but there was no poops at all coming out.

but then the poops started to come, they seem to go from mushy, to small, to a small batch of golden and more or less normal, back to mushy, then a batch that's normal etc.

but since he's been pooping he seems more unhappy and fed up than when he wasn't, and hes not flopped at all since his poops started coming through.

His appatite is fine, and he is active and not hiding but just seems soo fed up, and also spending a lot of time sitting like hes stil got some kind of tummy ache, after he eats sometimes too he hunches..

Also he's really aggresive with his teddy, he always used to chase teddy but was very gentle with it, but hes really going for it now and grunting at it etc like hes really **** off with teddy

Also sometimes when he poops, there is a wet patch there as well, so not sure if he's weed at the same time, or his poops are just wetter than usual

do you think I should take him back to the vets, just he gets sooo stressed out at the vets and I have all the meds here, I figured some poops coming out and the fact that "he can" create normal ones is some kind of progress, but he just doesnt seem like his usual self.. well, he does sometimes, just not all the time, and he's not flopping. . He's stil moulting quite a lot as well.

He's been sneezing too, not a lot but more than usual, though hes not snuffly and there is no discharge.

I just can't work it out

:S

Last edited:
I'm sure someone has probably already asked this, but what is their diet like? What food, what hay, what other food do they have such as veg and treats and how often? There are other issues that can cause poos like that to happen but I don't really know a lot about them, it's to do with the gut not working properly to absorb nutrients. But it will be best to rule out diet first if you can avoid the vets with a stressy bun. How long ago was the dental now?

With regards to the poops, what has he been eating? Any new foods? Or has he been getting more green foods than usual? If neither of these things I would certainly speak to your vet again. If you feel it would be bad for him to take him in, you could always speak to the vet on the phone and see if s/he thinks it is worth seeing him. To be honest, reading the bits about him sitting differently, I would be contacting the vet anyway as these can often be early signs of stasis.

Has he been neutered? Aggression from over-active hormones would explain the behaviour towards his teddy. Solution: have the plum fairy visit and remove his testicles.

I believe that some buns can pass mucous when they poo, which may be the wet patch, but it's not something I know anything about. Definitely another one to mention to your vet.

Hiya

He can't eat hay, Im trying to find a way to get him onto timothy Hay pellets

at the moment hes eating mostly, pro fiber, spring green, bramble and hawthorn (hes' VERY fussy) the bramble and hawthorn are new, but he was like this before he had those.. I've cut all his treats out apart from a tiny amount of carrot which I use to put his metacam on, and other meds etc.. he has been having more greens than usual though during him coming out of stasis as thats all he would eat at first, but his appatite now seems fine, and he eats enthusiastically.. (maybe should cut back on the greens though?)...

At first there was some mucus in his poops, then they started to form again, and tonight hes pooped quite a bit but some batches were nice and healthy looking, and then another batch of mushier ones, but still formed.

And that's the strange thing hes acting as though he hasn't been neutured but he has:S... almost like he's got his hormones back again

His Dental was on the 2nd of May

:S

I just can't work him out, he just came bounding over then and dived on the couch (looking for treats) but then he will go quiet for a bit, then suddenly perk up and bounce around etc.. but only flopped once since he started pooping, and he always used to flop.. the minute he sees teddy move he suddenly turns into a different bun and attacks it.. it's almost like he's 2 different rabbits:S, his ears seem to go from really cold, to normal, to pretty hot too...:roll:

Meant to say as well, his poop has been very smelly and pungent, and when he had his dental he was doing a lot of cecatropes.. hmm.. Im wondering if it might be Coccidiosis. though thats just looking at some of the symptoms etc. He's not lost, or loosing any weight though.

This is just from my experience with Grimlock, a rabbit who can't eat hay. Grim does not get enough fibre in his diet at all and it can really mess with his guts and what comes out of them. He's just done a pile of poos and one is mushy. Sometimes he has a lot of excess cecals. I imagine if he's not used to greens they might be causing a bit of gas or further upset, but if they're helping him eat...

The bramble and hawthorn are a great introduction because they're full of fibre. It could be the spring greens causing gas? I know Grimlock ate broccoli the other day when his teeth were hurting and he was in a bit of stasis. he had awful gas, his stomach was gurgling and he was really uncomfortable. Knowing he doesn't eat hay makes me think the poo thing is diet related.

Have you tried dried food instead of fresh? Herbs, forage and other foods dried so they're really crispy are apparently really easy to eat even for rabbits with tooth root issues and are much easier on the stomach. I think if he's eating enough you could try cutting down on the spring greens or cut them out and see how he is.

Can you give the metacam on anything else? Carrot is very high in sugar and not really good for rabbits coming out of stasis. Have you ever tried him with a little bit of bread or shredded wheat? If he'll eat either of those that might be a better place to hide it. Grim has his on a little bit of a crust of bread.

Does he eat any pellets or other rabbit food? Other than the profibre? And what type?

Hi Jenova

Yeah, non hay eating buns.. omg!.. its a nightmare trying to get the right type and amount of fiber in them

he does like some dried like plantain etc, and has eaten the bramble when its dried etc, I ordered some blackberry leaves for him too but theyve not arrived yet, and yeah, like you said, I think I'm gonna cut down on his greens now, he never normally got gas from spring greens, but often from kale he would be a little gassy..

His normal diet would be Science Selective, but he's been prefering the pro fiber, but Im thinking of maybe letting him have the SS but with pro fiber sprinkled on them, and timothy hay pellets as well..

Was just reading about coccodia. OMG! he's a free range house bun so I would probably have to hire an industrial steam cleaner and clean the entire house (though that would be nice) OMG!.. sheesh whoever said buns werent high maintenance, its a full time job and then some...

*he wont eat bread, and ate shredded wheat once, years ago, but never seemed interested in it since...:S* suppose I could try it again be worth a shot as I would like to completely eliminate sugar from his diet, ie, like you said in the carrot etc..*

Another thing, and this is just my opinion, if a rabbit can't eat hay I always make sure they have something else available that they can eat all the time. Grim only really eats pellets so the ideal for him would be to have pellets available all the time. Rabbits need to graze constantly throughout the day, so I think this is better for their gut. My problem is his bonded partner eats all his food, so right now I'm feeding him every few hours on his own. Not very practical at all! But I think if you've had a stasis problem he should always have food there, maybe the science selective? It depends whether his partner is going to get fat like Smoo did. She's on a diet right now and not happy with me. :lol:

Yeah, that seems to be the thing with buns, there's soo many catch 22's..

I always have plantain, and now bramble leaves and hawthorn available, and there is always a small amount of pellets.. he doesn't have a parnter:( just me, though Im with him more or less 24/7.. I would love for him to have a bunny wife, but too worried about twice the potential of what I have to deal with now, and twice the mess, cost etc..:S but at the same time I would sooo love to see him with one of his own..

haha good luck with the diet, they have that way of making us feel soooooo guilty (even then we already go to the ends of the earth and back for them) eh

Well in a way that's easier for you!
Have you tried him with soft pellets, soaked in water?

This is what Grim lives off. If he were my rabbit I would like to leave some soft pellets down all the time as well as the plantain etc. To be honest you're giving him all the highest fibre foods and pro fibre pellets which is great. The pro fibre pellets just turn to mush when they're soaked, but science selective keeps its shape but goes soft.

It would be better to wait until you have a proper routine with him before getting a partner I think. Grim's tooth roots are so awful he can't eat a lot of things and keeping pellets down is bad for Smoo's health because she gets fat but not putting them down is bad for Grim's health because he can't graze, so having one rabbit is sort of the ideal in this situation, even though they love company.

Yeah, I have to soak them for a bit in warm water as he struggles to crunch through them dry now, and your right about the pro fiber. eek, have to get it just right so they retain as much of their shape as possible but remain soft.. I think he is getting plenty of fiber, its just probably not quite as effective as the short storky bits of hay at pushing stuff through the guts etc, but guess there isnt that much we can do with dental buns..

heh, I expect its certainly not an easy task managing 2 oh my! I have my hands completely full with just 1.. :O

I used to make up the pro fibre pellets with too much water, once they'd completely dissolved I would mix in the normal pellets which would go soft and have a coating of the pro fibre. Grim used to love those. :D

It's not easy, but worth it because I love them. I'm at university and working from home right now, when I go out into the real world and get a job I have no idea what I'll do...

Heh, I never thought about doing it like that.. what I did was pick up a stone morter and pessle and I ground them up into a powder, then sprinkle them on the wet SS.. lol (oh the joys of errrr.... I'm sure there is a skill there somewhere)..

And yeah, the things we do eh, why I can never really go anywhere apart from not being able to find someone who I felt I could trust to look after him properly, the list of what to do etc, and what not to do would seem ridiculous to them lol

so I know what you mean, I hate going out and leaving him.. I keep thinking about getting one of those IP cams so I can keep tabs on him when I'm out..

Back