• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anaesthetic eye drops

weedug

Mama Doe
Timmy's eyes have taken a turn for the worse. He has them closed for most of the day now, and he has little interest in anything, although he is still eating and drinking.

He was at the vet today, as he was obviously in a lot of pain. He weighs 2.5 kg and is on 1 ml dog Metacam twice a day, which itself will cause problems at some point.

It was a different vet I saw, and she gave us tetracaine eye drops to use for the next 2 days. There has been a very slight improvement with them, in that at least he now has a slight interest in what is happening, but still has his worst eye closed, and the other is slightly open.

I am confused though with the eye drops. Surely he can't stay on them long term? She said they would affect the eye ulcers from healing, but decided since they have been there for more than a year that it was ok.

We go back on Monday morning, when my normal vet is on, but just wondered if the eye drops could be given long term, and since the ulcers are still there, if it would be fair to Timmy.

Grim has been given some and they are amazing. I don't think they can be given long term because they can affect the lens of the eye and reduce eyesight. Grim is very short sighted anyway so I'm not worried about that so it's worth it for the pain relief. In my case I used them so I could clean the pus out of Grim's eyes properly without causing him pain.

What is actually up with his eyes?

Poor Grim, I hope he is feeling better.

Timmy has eye ulcers in both eyes, that just don't get better no matter what is done. Most drops make them worse. He has had them since I got him last March, but the pain has been getting much worse this year.

Poor Grim, I hope he is feeling better.

Timmy has eye ulcers in both eyes, that just don't get better no matter what is done. Most drops make them worse. He has had them since I got him last March, but the pain has been getting much worse this year.

Have you tried cream rather than drops?
grim cannot have drops of any sort, they seem to irritate his eyes even more. He was given some sort of anti inflammatory eye drop and they weren't getting better. I knew he had previously had issues with fucithalmic so I decided to stop them and he improved very quickly after that with just his antibiotic cream. I don't know if ulcer medication can be got in cream as well? I actually need to tell my vet I stopped it and why. I completely forgot.

Grim's right eye is very ulcerated too, I know how painful it was for him. :(

I have absolutely no idea but thought I would send some vibes for Timmy and also Grim.

Thank you. :)

There is a standard warning on local anaesthetic eye drops that they slow the healing process on corneal ulcers. However, short term if they encourage opening of the eye and that makes it easier to get other drops in then I guess there is a trade-off. Your vet may also have taken the stance that since they aren't healing, anything that makes the eyes less painful is in the best interest of Timmy.

Timmy has had drops as well as creams, everything seemed to make things worse, except the fucithalmic and the viscotears, which didn't clear the ulcers.

Timmy has managed to eat his food today with his eyes open, for the first time ever!! And he came over to welcome me first thing, and got excited about his pellets. But there still seems to be something "not right". One ear (always the same one) seems to droop every so often, and he seems to lean over to the same side, if that makes sense? His ears were checked yesterday, and they were fine. He was doing it when the vet examined him yesterday, and she didn't say anything when I pointed it out to her :?

There is a standard warning on local anaesthetic eye drops that they slow the healing process on corneal ulcers. However, short term if they encourage opening of the eye and that makes it easier to get other drops in then I guess there is a trade-off. Your vet may also have taken the stance that since they aren't healing, anything that makes the eyes less painful is in the best interest of Timmy.

I am wondering where that leaves us long term though :?

I have absolutely no idea but thought I would send some vibes for Timmy and also Grim.

Thank you :D

Back