• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If I were to foster some rabbits while Grim has snuffles?

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Just after some advice. Grimlock has snuffles. It's not been tested but we assume it's pasteurella. It's chronic and ongoing.
If I were to foster someone else's rabbits what sort of precautions would I need to take? Would it even be fair on the other rabbits?

They would be outside, but they would be in a hutch that Grim has used.

Sorry to sound dumb and im new to the names of rabbit illnesses... But whats snuffles?

It's the common name for any bacterial infection in the nasal passageways and upper airways. Rabbits with this can get snotty noses and become snuffly, hence the name.

I fostered loads of bunnies over a period of about 4 years throughout which Santa had snuffles. As long as you're keeping them well away from each other, and take normal sensible precautions against cross-infection either way, not just the snuffles, I don't think it should be a problem. So whatever sensible steps you would take to protect bunnies against ec, cocci etc should be fine - don't let them share the same exercise area and definitely not grass, disinfect bowls, use separate cleaning pans and brushes, that sort of thing. I wouldn't worry about using the hutch as long as it has been thoroughly cleaned, disinfected with a veterinary grade disinfectant and left to dry well.

Last edited:
I fostered loads of bunnies over a period of about 4 years throughout which Santa had snuffles. As long as you're keeping them well away from each other, and take normal sensible precautions against cross-infection either way, not just the snuffles, I don't think it should be a problem. So whatever sensible steps you would take to protect bunnies against ec, cocci etc should be fine - don't let them share the same exercise area and definitely not grass, disinfect bowls, use separate cleaning pans and brushes, that sort of thing. I wouldn't worry about using the hutch as long as it has been thoroughly cleaned, disinfected with a veterinary grade disinfectant and left to dry well.

Thanks. That's really useful.

Back