• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my planted herbs are growing!

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
i planted them last year i think, maybe longer ago than that, and nothing happened. now the basil has started growing really well. there are some other things but i can't remember what they are :?

one pot has mushrooms in though and i know i never planted those!

Best of luck with your herbs.

Growing your own should save you a fortune.

I keep meaning to grow my own.........................I also keep forgetting!!!:oops::oops:

I've got a basil plant, they sell pots of basil and corriander at the local supermarket. I found some reduced price ones (25p), the corriander was dying but the basil looked like it could be saved, so I bought it. Parts are dying and parts are growing. For 25p, I thought it was worth a punt. I need to grow some parsley and corriander, my boys love love love them!

We planted some coriander and origano a couple of weeks ago and they are growing too! They were only 49p half price from Wilkos for the seeds, thought it was worth a go for that price. We're also growing some courgettes and peppers, the courgettes are quite big but no sign of the peppers yet :lol: We've already got some parsley, sage, thyme and mint growing outside though we bought those as plants.

I think mushrooms tend to grow quite randomly. I planted out some parsnips I started at home and found one or two baby mushrooms, tis cos I used newspaper to make pots. Also got some in our greenhouse :lol:

i'm not sure now if it is basil. :? there is also a plant in there which i can't remember the name of but i got it off ebay and it is safe for bunnies to eat. maybe a seller called 'rabbit nutrition'? :?

has anyone had success planting supermarket herbs? i tried that but they never grew. also tried plug plants but nothing again.

i'm not sure now if it is basil. :? there is also a plant in there which i can't remember the name of but i got it off ebay and it is safe for bunnies to eat. maybe a seller called 'rabbit nutrition'? :?

has anyone had success planting supermarket herbs? i tried that but they never grew. also tried plug plants but nothing again.

I have but they never grew very big, apart from mint, I put three or four used supermarket plants in a large containter and the mint does really well. I buy plants for things that will last through the winter but for annuals I'm (trying to!) grow from seed.

Anything that I plant never seems to grow :( Do the herbs grow continuously if you cut them off and leave the seeds in or do you have to keep planting more seeds? It would be great if you had a continuous flow or herbs for the buns. As you can tell I am pretty clueless when it comes to these things? xx

when i tried to grow them nothing worked and then i left them and now they have started growing :roll: i might plant some plug plants and some seeds and just leave them!

Anything that I plant never seems to grow :( Do the herbs grow continuously if you cut them off and leave the seeds in or do you have to keep planting more seeds? It would be great if you had a continuous flow or herbs for the buns. As you can tell I am pretty clueless when it comes to these things? xx

I think for a continual supply you need to sucessional sow every few weeks.

I was growing rocket, lettuce, basil, coriander and some other things... although I'm not growing them anymore. Left the trays on the floor, Buttons was running around the kitchen and ate all the shoots >_< naughty Bunny! :lol:

turns out it wasn't anything good, just weeds growing in them :roll: ah well. might attempt some more at some stage... maybe.

Mint, thyme and rosemary are three very easy and rustic aromatics to grow. Mint you just plant somewhere sunny in the garden where the rabbits can't get to it and it will overrun your yard if you let it in a few years times. It's basically a noxious weed if left to it's own devices after the initial grow, so you still have to be careful to harvest the leaves regularly and pull out young unwanted shoots in the spring. My old neighbour planted some spearmint years ago in her garden and I now have some sprouting randomly in my yard every spring. It also has started to grow in wooden areas more than a hundred feet from the initial site.

Thyme is basically plant and forget: it doesn't like much moisture, so all it needs is basically sun, some balanced and drained soil and some light watering in the first weeks. Rosemary is also the same, altough it needs a bit more care, and can grow to huge, invasive proportions, meaning an ample harvest (it is a bush after all). I have not yet fed any to my rabbit since it is very strong tasting and I'm sticking to sweet basil at the moment.

I know some people have okay success with aromatics in pots inisde on a windowsill or on the balcony, but there's no substitute to planting in the ground.

Mine don't really like rosemary or thyme. I have little dill, parsley, rocket and coriander seedlings coming through in a bed in the garden. :D i wouldn't give up, just sprinkle a few more seeds in and cover with a sprinking of earth and keep watering in the evenings.

Ive got lavander, rosemary thyme curly parsley flat leaf parsley mint marjoram (can they have that, or should I save it for my cooking?) sage, corriander and basil growing at the moment. The bush types they can eat whatever they want, I have tonnes as I use it all a lot in cooking. the annual stuffs Im growing a lot and carefully harvesting, lasts a couple of months like that, and I can plant some more all year round as they grow well indoors.

Back