• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you choose?

missFloppyears

Warren Veteran
When it comes to choosing a partner for your rabbit?

What do you look for?

im having such a hard time finding "the one" for poppet, the more rabbits i see the harder it becomes..

He obviously has to be from a rescue near me where i can take her up to for bonding, Im worried ill find one and then see another i like :oops:

im so confused and she needs a male soon shes always been in a group and now shes on her own shes showing signs of loneliness, she was showing promising signs toward Radleigh, before 'it' happened :(
now hes gone she just seems so fed up.
shes ok travelling so i dont mind travelling up to 2-3 hours to a rescue.

The male she needs must be good with a fairly pushy dominant female...:lol:

so again my question... how on earth do i choose?

I'd try to let her choose. See if the rescue will let you take her there to choose her own partner or chat to them about personalities and see which one would be a good fit for her.

I'd try to let her choose. See if the rescue will let you take her there to choose her own partner or chat to them about personalities and see which one would be a good fit for her.

How does this work?
just plop her in with each male until she doesnt pick on one?:lol:

How does this work?
just plop her in with each male until she doesnt pick on one?:lol:

I've never actually done it myself although I will try to when I have to. I guess the rescue will have an idea of matching personalities and will try them together with potential candidates.

Aww bless, I hope you find the perfect bun for her :love: I picked Gordon because he was around the same age as Beano, only 2 months younger. And his discription was that he was a lovely laid back lad, which is what Beano needed! I didn't really 'look' though, it was when I first joined the forum and made a thread looking for a partner for Beano and a link to Gordon was posted. :love:

Now then i need to pick a rescue :lol:
the last thing i want to do is ring multiple rescues and have all of them thinking they may have the right male and then it working with poppet at one rescue meaning the others will be let down :?

ughh i dislike rabbit hunting :'(

You don't choose you let the rabbit choose. The rescue usually has a pretty good idea of the personalities of the bunnies :)

You don't choose you let the rabbit choose. The rescue usually has a pretty good idea of the personalities of the bunnies :)

As above.

Alice at Windwhistle Warren in Gloucestershire re-homes nationwide.

I cannot sing her praises high enough for her excellent work..

She really does have the nack of knowing which bunny stands the best chance of being compatible with another.

Why not e-mail her and see? On her website there are a few bunnies, but only a very small selection of the ones she has who are needing homes.

Please be patient for a reply as she does have over 80 bunnies and 50 guineas to tend to.

I'm sure you'll not be disappointed.:thumb:

As above.

Alice at Windwhistle Warren in Gloucestershire re-homes nationwide.

I cannot sing her praises high enough for her excellent work..

She really does have the nack of knowing which bunny stands the best chance of being compatible with another.

Why not e-mail her and see? On her website there are a few bunnies, but only a very small selection of the ones she has who are needing homes.

Please be patient for a reply as she does have over 80 bunnies and 50 guineas to tend to.

I'm sure you'll not be disappointed.:thumb:

Just looked them up 114 mi, 2 hours 7 mins away. thats not too bad does she do bondings though? :?

have you contacted Angie at BARC..not sure if she could help you but if you ring her and have a good open conversation about what you are looking for she may well..and then that sort of makes up for cancelling the nethie girl from them:D
Angie bonds for people so that will be one worry less for you

Ive just been looking at the BARC bunnies, although most of Angies Boys are reserved she has 2 stunning boys :love::love:
Ive found a rescue i havent heard of before the SAA?
There site seems very good ;)
shall give them a bell and see what is there also.

Ive learnt now not to say im deffinately having any rabbit from a rescue until they are bonded and living in my house:roll::lol:

Basically thats what ive always done, neutral area at the rescue, put them both in and watch carefully. We ended up with a giant and a little 2kilo at one point but they were happy while they were together, the giant is no longer with us and the little 2kilo girl is with a more appropriate sized partner now.

I always go with an open mind, the bunnies do the choosing, I just pay and then take them home and love them. Same goes with my cats, I choose what needs me the most, not what I consider the cutest/youngest etc.

Forgot to say, personal recomendationm of a rescue is always a good idea, theres some great rescues on here. I once had a really good chat with BARC, she was great very knowlegeable and open. I also like Sues Rabbit rescue at Dewsbury but not sure if thats too far for you. These are the only 2 ive had any experience of and both were positive ones.

Back