• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Female/Female bonds?

missFloppyears

Warren Veteran
I know the obvious Male/Male bonds arent recommended but can work..
is this the same with females or can female female bonds work?

f/f bonds are the most difficult, but there will always be an exception to the rule

i would not attempt an f/f bond out of choice, asking for loads of stress imo

f/f bonds are the most difficult, but there will always be an exception to the rule

i would not attempt an f/f bond out of choice, asking for loads of stress imo

Thanks Jane, just thought id ask incase i was ruling females out of my search uneccasarily.

Deffo not an option with hermajesty mardy pants then :lol::lol:

I don't think I'd attempt a female/female bond either, unless one of them was extremely laid back then it could possibly work. I have a f/f pair and they're fine but their mum and daughter so have always lived together.

They can work, but I wouldn't do it out of choice. Lou and I bonded two unrelated adult females for someone a couple of years ago, they already had the bunnies and couldn't get any more, so it was basically a choice of bond the females or each of them would live single for evermore. After a tricky start, the bond worked.

In fact, about 20 years ago, I bonded an unrelated, unneutered adult female pair :shock: I absolutely wouldn't recommend it to anyone now, but it actually worked - for a time at least, and that tends to be a bigger risk with same sex bonds. The bond broke down a few years later when I looked after my friend's rabbits when she went on holiday, referred aggression caused a massive fight and they never rebonded after that.

We had an all female trio (sisters, been together since birth and all spayed). However, it suddenly broke down one day for no real reason. Apparently it's not unusual for females.
:cry:

So now we have a pair and a single. To be honest, I'm not 100% convinced that the pair won't break up at some point too.

I'd avoid it in the future, just to be on the safe side.

However, there are people on here who have far more experience than me and who will offer you far wiser words than mine.....

I've had M/F, F/F and M/M.
I find M/F and M/M about the same difficulty tbh, as long as personalities are thought about they tend to work out okay. I currently have a M/M/M unrelated trio who :love: each other!
F/F i have found difficult, because I find they tend to squabble, and squabble, and squabble. I have only had one unrelated pair work out perfectly, but one of them was very submissive.
I would stick to looking for a boy, probably easier! Though if you do happen to come across a very submissive female, don't rule it out.

I have 2 sisters. They love each other (they have always lived together), but they do have scraps, but they always make up.

Personally, I would always choose 2 females if I was buying from a breeder (so they wouldn't need to be separated until they were neutered), but if I was bonding 2 adult rabbits, I would choose a male/female pairing as it is easier.

Back