• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chicken/ aviary wire?

blue_vix

Mama Doe
I have it in my head that you shouldn't use this for rabbits but I googled it and I can't find anything that says I'm right. Does anyone know if you can use it? Or why you can't? Thanks

You shouldn't use the hexagonal shaped chicken wire because it's too thin & easily chewed through. I think also, the way it's constructed, the wire's twisted to form the shape so, once chewed through, it tends to unravel quite easily. It was designed to keep chickens in rather than keep predators out.

Wire weld mesh (with the square or rectangular holes) is much stronger and safer. :D

I don't think the hexagonal wire is fox proof. It's too soft and flexible and can be chewed through. You can get panels or rolls of welded wire mesh from places like Wickes and Screwfix. I got some from Wickes at £2.39 for a 60x90cm panel - it has the advantage that you don't have to cut it and leave sharp edges.

Back