• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training.

AlexandraLT

Warren Scout
:wave:

Im trying to litter train my three bunnies.

All of them keep pooing everywhere, and one of them (i think only one) is peeing everywhere but the litter tray.
I have newspaper down so when they do pee i put that bit of paper in the litter tray.
I have also tried moving the litter tray to the place she went to wee last, but this doesn't seem to work, as she decided to wee in the place the litter tray used to be.
As they are just coming up to 9 weeks they are not yet spayed.
All three also don't wee in the litter tray if there is just litter in there (they like old peed on paper aswell).

Any tips?

Many thanks

:thumb:

Last edited:
Rabbits like to go to the loo where they eat, so only put their hay in the littertray (obviously will need regular changing)
I have 3 buns too and they can't all fit in one tray, so I bought another one with high sides.

Litter Training Is Tough For Me Too!

Hi!
I am a new bunny mama to a li'l guy, who I believe may be around 10-12 weeks old. After much proofing we let are little man have much rome of our apartment. He had his little poops everywhere!, but was only peeing on our couch. Until I found this reliable forum I didn't even know that bunnies could be litter trained. So my husband and I quickly got a pan and put aspen in it. Everytime he jumps on the couch we stick him in his box, and sure enough he backs up and pees! I give him much praise and a treat everytime. He poops in his boxes when he's in them, but he still poops all over, ;). I've noticed he definitely has his spots, like you said yours does, and I've moved his litter pans to those places, and it's really calmed down since I've done this. But it's still a big work in progress.

So You Guys Only Put There Hay In The Litter Pan? I Was So Afraid That Would Cause Coccidiosis Because They Would Be Eating From The Same Area! We Had Two Beautiful Goats That Caught This When I Was A Young Girl And It Was Horrible.

Last edited:
So You Guys Only Put There Hay In The Litter Pan? I Was So Afraid That Would Cause Coccidiosis Because They Would Be Eating From The Same Area! We Had Two Beautiful Goats That Caught This When I Was A Young Girl And It Was Horrible.

What I do it I just put a pile of hay in the corner, so my bun can nibble it while he sticks his bottom into the back of the tray.

Also, I'm not an expert but I don't belive it's possible for a healthy bun to contaminate itself with coccidiosis - I think they can only get that from eating grass or whatever that an affected animal has soiled. When my boys got it 4 years ago it was from eating grass where a contaminated wildie had been.

I'm really sorry to hear about your goats by the way. :( It's the most horrible illness, i know.

Re littertaining, I didn't get even close until the boys were neutered. They 'mark their territory' with pee and droppings, which can only be discouraged with neutering.

Just to check, are your buns definitely, 110% positively, without-any-shadow-of-a-doubt all one sex? Even when they still seem like babies they can breed, so if you have a mix of boys and girls they need to be seperated now until 6 weeks after they're 'done'.

In the meantime, all you can do is put lots of trays around (particularly in their favourite spots) and nudge them into one when you see them squat. Make sure you praise them lots and give them treats (fenugreek crunchies are always a hit!) to reinforce the behaviour.

Last edited:
Hey

I just mounted a large hay rack above their litter tray, and they sit and nibble the hay and go at the same time. We sweep out their house and run every week and theres maybe ~10 stray poops spread across both (mainly around the litter tray) and never any wee's anywhere else - so I'd say that was at least 90% littertrained ;)

Also, I'm not an expert but I don't belive it's possible for a healthy bun to contaminate itself with coccidiosis - I think they can only get that from eating grass or whatever that an affected animal has soiled. When my boys got it 4 years ago it was from eating grass where a contaminated wildie had been..

They can contaminate themselves, but there has to be enough of a coccidial overgrowth in the first instance for that to happen. Most buns carry some of the less virulent strains of coccidia naturally, so if they have an illnesse which triggers an overgrowth, or if they pick it up from somewhere else, its technically possible. However coccidial spores only become infectious after 48 hours so daily cleaning of the litter tray means that any cocci present won't be active. To a certain extent, stopping them from eating infected hay is unavoidable if one of them does get cocci simply because hay is a necessary element of the buns diet and habitat.

At 9 weeks old I suspect there's not really a lot you can do to encourage litter training, and if you do, it might well go out the window when they hit puberty anyway. They use poop to mark their territory si as soon as those hormones kick in they are likely to poop everywhere (sorry!) Once they are spayed, they will normally litter train themselves fairly easily :D

Last edited:
i m fortunate enough that Oreo and Hershey took to litter training as a duck to swimming :D although pooping drops everywhere but that doesnt bother me! i popped them both outside to play and because the litter tray needed cleaning i put that outside to! next thing the boys were both using the tray ! i thought :shock: whats wrong with the garden !! :) and now guess what they always go in the same place :) why oh why did i leave the litter tray just outside my back door! :) i have tried moving the litter tray BUT no they still go outside the door!!! :love:

Can't add anything to what's already been said but I must've been lucky with my three buns as I never actually litter trained them, they did it themselves! When Beano was young she used to go in one corner of her crate and continued this after he spay. I only got a litter tray after I adopted Gordon and just put newspaper and hay in there and they only went in there! Boris has always had a litter tray and gone in it even when he was unneutered, although he did spray everywhere :roll::lol:

Back