• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Enucleation (eye removal): Has anyone had this done on a bun?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Following on this thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...lanomas-Anyone-tried-to-treat-one-on-a-rabbit

we are now looking at the options:

The melanoma is on the edge of the eye (round the tear duct area).

One of the options is removal of the skin and eye - it is a large op. but actually probably not as long under GA as trying to remove the melanoma and not the eye - and also has the advantage of clearing out the affected area without digging into it - whereas just knocking back the actual area will disturb all the cells.

We realise there is a possibility that it has already seeded - but there is no sign of that and until any tumour gets large enough to spot on an imaging or affect him we would not know.

So just asking about any other buns that have had eye removal.

My friends bun has just had his eye removed after a cat attack ,the vet told her there was a one in ten chance he would not come through as it was a risky op but he is fine now :)

I had a bun who has his eye removed, he did really well, though he had limited vision before the op already. He wasent the healthiest of buns either.

Mr Bean had his eye removed due to treatment resistant Glaucoma. He recovered well.

Would Parsley's middle ear abscess not be a major complication to such invasive surgery ?

Dexter had it done last November and it was the best decision i made, he had an abcess in his eyeball and is such a happy bun now. However, and I hate to say it, my little girl Minky had glaucoma due to ec and didn't make it through the op, she died as soon as she was anesthetised :( but the ec had weakend her heart. I wouldn't think twice about putting another bun through the op though as Dexter has done so so well post surgery!

Mr Bean had his eye removed due to treatment resistant Glaucoma. He recovered well.

Would Parsley's middle ear abscess not be a major complication to such invasive surgery ?

We asked the vet about this (and she is the same vet that has been in charge of al lhis treatments and did the CT scan on his inner ear and subsequent ear treatments etc ) and she thinks not - at least not in terms of the actual physical/technical side of the op.

There is a worry over his reaction to GA, but he has had several surgeries since he has had his abscess (including penis amputation, castration, facial abscess renoval etc) and came through those.

At present we are weighing the risks of each of our options - the melanoma is growing and we have to make a decision soon now we know its malignant.

Thank you for remembering about his poorly ear:wave:

Dexter had it done last November and it was the best decision i made, he had an abcess in his eyeball and is such a happy bun now. However, and I hate to say it, my little girl Minky had glaucoma due to ec and didn't make it through the op, she died as soon as she was anesthetised :( but the ec had weakend her heart. I wouldn't think twice about putting another bun through the op though as Dexter has done so so well post surgery!

I am sorry to hear about Minky - EC can lead to such a range of complications and weaknesses.:cry:

Yes, my first bun Miffy had an eye removed, due to a tumour/abscess behind the eye. The op was a success and he coped very well with one eye. Hope your bun will be OK. Sending lots of vibes xx

My Bentley had to have his eye removed when he was only 9 weeks old. He was born with a diseased eye and the breeder handed him into rescue as she couldn't sell him so he wasn't worth anything to her. :(

Juniper, who was adopted by Bellatrix18, had to have one of her eyes removed and she bounced back really quickly and had no problem in adapting to life with one eye.

I hope Parsley will be OK.

Not had the op done yet but one of my girls is due to have one of her eyes removed in the next few weeks or so :cry: She has fluid under her eye and cannot see out of it anyway so I don't think she'll loose out having the eye removed

Twigs, one of my rabbits (my first ever and still with us Barney) has had both eyes removed at seperate times and sailed through the ops, despite being an old timer. He was actually in far less pain directly after the second removal and had legs laid out when home from the vets, something he'd not done for such a long time, so I suspect that in some cases the procedure may actually give some release from any discomfort being suffered. I know that this may be different in that the pressure in his case was behind the eye, but I think they do well.

I have a friend whose older lady also had one recently and she too did very well.

Barney is still amazing despite not seeing anything at all.

My Bridge Bun, Daisy, had an eye removed. She was a white bun and the wound looked dreadful when I went to collect her from the vet. So much so that the receptionist had to sit me down and fetch me some water, but Daisy recovered really well.

thank you everyone for your stories -

i think we are going to go for this:

it may well be too late if the cancer has already fissioned off into other places (it s growing in the primary place quite rapidly now)- but we can only hope.

Initially we were not going to put him through this procedure as it seemed like causing sufferring for nothing possibly - but having discussed it with the vet AND listened to all these tales of buns then it seems that actually its not that bad an op. for the bun.

If he 'goes' during the op then we will know that there was something seriously wrong inside already.

We have scheduled the op for next Friday with the vets permission (we had to book a slot and will have final discussions with her the day before).

thank you everyone for your stories -

i think we are going to go for this:

it may well be too late if the cancer has already fissioned off into other places (it s growing in the primary place quite rapidly now)- but we can only hope.

Initially we were not going to put him through this procedure as it seemed like causing sufferring for nothing possibly - but having discussed it with the vet AND listened to all these tales of buns then it seems that actually its not that bad an op. for the bun.

If he 'goes' during the op then we will know that there was something seriously wrong inside already.

We have scheduled the op for next Friday with the vets permission (we had to book a slot and will have final discussions with her the day before).

I had this attitude with my Harriet this week as we needed to have an idea on what was ailing her as her breathing was getting worse and worse so despite the risks we went for a sedation. She had lost 500g in a couple of weeks on top of 1kg in a month previoiusly so she was never going to be right. She went under sedation immediately and it transpired that it was was a tumour. It saved her from more distress to come.

I do so hope that the op makes all the difference and your bunny comes back with a vengence Twigs, but what a lovely blissful way to go if the cancer has spead because the pain and any discomfort will be instantly removed. Awful for you but better possibly for bunny. Fingers crossed for a succesful treatment x

I wish we as humans had this an a option. GA and not waking up rather than suffering - but that's a whole other thread.

so sorry to hear about this on top of parsleys poorly ear :(
hes a little fighter..best of luck if you decided to operate...
hoping to hear good news about your little man :love:

Back