• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent help please - suspected bacterial pneumonia

Loula

Mama Doe
:cry::cry::cry:

Bella was absolutely fine at 7am this morning, she was getting under my feet trying to get her pellets quicker like she does every day.

My oh rang me at 12.30 to say he'd just got home from work and was on his way to the vets as Bells isn't right, her breathing is really laboured, rattly, squeaky.

Vets don't think she's going to make it. They've xrayed her and there is fluid on her lungs and possibly something suspect in her stomach.

She's had diuretics, baytril, metacam and is home with us as the vet said she definitely perked up once we were with her so thought she'd be better off at home.

I've tried syringe feeding her the fibreplex they gave us but she won't take it, she won't swallow. Just leaving it to sit in her mouth.

She's just sitting there, with her head in the air looking sad. She's not really noisy breathing anymore but it's still looking like a struggle.

What do we do?? We've got appointments at the vet tomorrow at both 8.30am and 2pm depending on whether we think she's showed any improvement, but obviously to bring her in before if we think we need to.

Should we be doing anything else? Are we selfish for bringing her home when the vet thought to begin with we should pts? She's such a fighter.

Did the Vet say what the abnormality is in her stomach ?

Sometimes a bloated stomach as a result of an obstruction can lead to pneumonia as the stomach becomes so huge that the lungs cannot expand.

If there is an obstructed bloat then I am afraid it is unlikely medical treatment will work, it is a surgical emergency.

So I am assuming the Vet is certain it is not an obstructed bloat that is the primary problem ?

To be honest I think she needs to be hospitalised for intensive care. She cant take anything by mouth whilst in respiratory distress. IMO she needs IVs

I am so sorry that she is very ill :cry:

Oh no! Poor Bella.
I do not think you are being selfish, if the time comes then I'm sure you'll do what is right. You know your bun, if she is a little fighter then you are simply giving her the chance to fight.

(((((((((((((((vibes))))))))))))))))

Did the Vet say what the abnormality is in her stomach ?

Sometimes a bloated stomach as a result of an obstruction can lead to pneumonia as the stomach becomes so huge that the lungs cannot expand.

If there is an obstructed bloat then I am afraid it is unlikely medical treatment will work, it is a surgical emergency.

So I am assuming the Vet is certain it is not an obstructed bloat that is the primary problem ?

To be honest I think she needs to be hospitalised for intensive care. She cant take anything by mouth whilst in respiratory distress. IMO she needs IVs

I am so sorry that she is very ill :cry:

The vet thought that it was fluid showing on the stomach. She didn't mention it as being a particular concern but I was having such a panic in there with talk of pts that I didn't really question it too much.

I'm waiting for the vet to call me back re not swallowing.

I just don't understand how it came on so quickly. She was blissfully flopped on the sofa most of last night and then was really chipper this morning at breakfast time.

The vet thought that it was fluid showing on the stomach. She didn't mention it as being a particular concern but I was having such a panic in there with talk of pts that I didn't really question it too much.

I'm waiting for the vet to call me back re not swallowing.

I just don't understand how it came on so quickly. She was blissfully flopped on the sofa most of last night and then was really chipper this morning at breakfast time.

Acute pneumonia can develop within a few hours

As can acute bloat

I would ask the Vet about having her re-admitted for intensive care. I think her best chance will be to be on IV fluids and meds aswell as oxygen and heat therapy

Lots of vibes for her xx

ETA
- I'd also ask the Vet if her heart looked at all enlarged on the Xray

Giant breeds are prone to heart problems which can present in an acute form. If her heart is failing this would cause all the fluid build up.

Last edited:
Her heart looked normal on the xray.

I've spoken with the vet, I asked about admitting her, but there's no one there from 6.30 so she would be there alone over night. So there is not a chance in that happening.

I don't know about any other vets in this area and whether they're bunny savvy. Our super savvy vets are just too far away I think to subject her to the drive (~1hr). I don't know.

The vet suggested syringe feeding her water, I don't want to stress her though and if she's not swallowing food what are the chances of swallowing water?

How long should the drugs take to work and if we should have seen any changes by now? She had the diuretics and baytril at around 1.30.

Her heart looked normal on the xray.

I've spoken with the vet, I asked about admitting her, but there's no one there from 6.30 so she would be there alone over night. So there is not a chance in that happening.

I don't know about any other vets in this area and whether they're bunny savvy. Our super savvy vets are just too far away I think to subject her to the drive (~1hr). I don't know.

The vet suggested syringe feeding her water, I don't want to stress her though and if she's not swallowing food what are the chances of swallowing water?

How long should the drugs take to work and if we should have seen any changes by now? She had the diuretics and baytril at around 1.30.

Any benefit from the diuretic would occur rapidly, usually within an hour.

Antibiotics will take time to make any impact on a bacterial infection and would be best given IV or by subcutaneous injection.

The diuretics need to be given regularly, sometimes as often as every 4-6 hours.

Is she mouth breathing ?

Any benefit from the diuretic would occur rapidly, usually within an hour.

Antibiotics will take time to make any impact on a bacterial infection and would be best given IV or by subcutaneous injection.

The diuretics need to be given regularly, sometimes as often as every 4-6 hours.

Is she mouth breathing ?

She is weeing an awful lot. The breathing isn't as awful as when I first saw her at 2. Baytril was given by sub cut injection. I just don't know. I don't know if I'm supposed to magically know when I should be seriously considering pts. I don't know if there's anything else I/a vet could be doing. I don't know.

Jamie said she was mouth breathing for a short time when he got to the vets but she hasn't since we've been home with her. I haven't seen her mouth breath (and she's not leaving my sight).

She's currently lying on our rug next to a heatpad and enjoying having her ears rubbed. I hope we're not doing the wrong thing keeping her alive.

Oh, I am so so so sorry. You both fought valiantly and if it helps even a little bit I think you did all that you could and showed how much you loved her. :cry::cry:

Back