• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking for a recommendation on rabbit savvy vet in Hampshire

catherine09

Mama Doe
I've been looking for a good rabbit savvy vet for some months now - I've moved to another vet surgery as a temporary arrangement as the vet I saw there was better than my old vet (ie I didn't have to ask him to use an otoscope when checking teeth!) but I'm still not convinced how much he would know in an emergency situation.

I live in Basingstoke, but Sweep doesn't travel very well and I get nervous taking them for long journeys as he starts breathing very rapidly. I know of a good vet in Bracknell but I'm nervous about the 40m drive there and back with him.

Does anyone know any rabbit savvy vets that are closer to me? I would be really grateful for any recommendations as this has been playing on my mind for some time now

John Chitty is certainly a rabbit-savvy vet (exotics expert). He is now based mainly in Andover, at Anton Vets, although I think he does do some work in Basingstoke - they have a website.

John Chitty is certainly a rabbit-savvy vet (exotics expert). He is now based mainly in Andover, at Anton Vets, although I think he does do some work in Basingstoke - they have a website.

Ironically he does a session on Wednesdays at my old vets - the ones I left because they seemed totally incompetent with bunnies :roll:

I guess that would be good if I had a specific problem that didn't need urgent attention, but not as good for emergencies (unless they are on a Wednesday evening of course :lol:)

That's really good to know, thank-you. I am already registered there so will see what sort of things he does at the session on Weds (I guess if Sweep ever needs a dental I would have to take him to Andover :?)

Ironically he does a session on Wednesdays at my old vets - the ones I left because they seemed totally incompetent with bunnies :roll:

I guess that would be good if I had a specific problem that didn't need urgent attention, but not as good for emergencies (unless they are on a Wednesday evening of course :lol:)

That's really good to know, thank-you. I am already registered there so will see what sort of things he does at the session on Weds (I guess if Sweep ever needs a dental I would have to take him to Andover :?)

Yes, it is a bit of a drag getting to Andover - I'm ok once on the A303 (I live a few miles from Basingstoke).

Back