• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellets for a 10 week old baby

martlou

Warren Veteran
Do baby rabbits need a diff type of pellet to an adult, and how much should be given? One of my hairdressers has a 10 week old baby doe and she was vastly over feeding it (due to 'advice' from garden centre :roll:) I told her this was way too much and she should only give around an eggcup twice a day max. But I'm not sure if that's correct for a baby, can anyone advise please?

Babies can have basically (but be sensible) unlimited junior pellets, but obviously have unlimited hay on tap too.

What Graham said :)

They can have pretty much unlimited pellets, as long as their tums are coping okay and they're eating their hay.

Well I have impressed the need for loads of hay and said to top up 2 or 3 times in the day if possible as certainly Ted and Rosie definitely eat more if they keep getting fresh stuff. As long as I'm not inadvertently advising her to starve the poor thing, that's what I was worried about :cry:

ETA just edited to add, Nutmeg has had quite a bit of poo stuck to her bum and that was one reason why I said it was too much pellets as Ted gets a sticky bum if he has too many. Obviously I've said how important it is to keep her bottom clean.

I don't think young rabbits need 'junior' food to be honest, In the wild they would be eating the same as their parents.

some people gve the junor version, but with sox i ddn;t bother and just gave him ss lke mabel, just gave him alot more then she had :wave:

some people gve the junor version, but with sox i ddn;t bother and just gave him ss lke mabel, just gave him alot more then she had :wave:

Thank you so if I've said an eggcup twice a day is that not enough for a 10 week old? I'm worried I've given her totally wrong advice now (bearing in mind her botty problems with the poop).

Thank you so if I've said an eggcup twice a day is that not enough for a 10 week old? I'm worried I've given her totally wrong advice now (bearing in mind her botty problems with the poop).

I'm not who you were replying to, but I think she needs to reduce them (along with any other foods that could be causing problems, i.e cut out all fruit/veg/commercial treats) until his bum is clean. That amount will be the right amount I think. Unless, of course, he is on rubbish pellets, in which case changing brand would be the first thing to do.

I'm not who you were replying to, but I think she needs to reduce them (along with any other foods that could be causing problems, i.e cut out all fruit/veg/commercial treats) until his bum is clean. That amount will be the right amount I think. Unless, of course, he is on rubbish pellets, in which case changing brand would be the first thing to do.

Thanks I'm happy to accept help from anybody :lol:. She's not feeding her veg yet and I don't think treats either. I've said to just do the small amount of pellets and majority hay as I think the excess pellets will be causing the dirty bum problem. I just was worried I'd told her to cut the pellets down too far but I think from what people have said it seems ok now. Thank you :D

Thanks I'm happy to accept help from anybody :lol:. She's not feeding her veg yet and I don't think treats either. I've said to just do the small amount of pellets and majority hay as I think the excess pellets will be causing the dirty bum problem. I just was worried I'd told her to cut the pellets down too far but I think from what people have said it seems ok now. Thank you :D

Ideally, at 10 weeks I think she should be having more than 2 eggcups, but she needs her pellets reduced till she doesnt have a messy bum, as her digestion obviously isnt coping with the amount she has now. Better to have too few pellets than a gut that bad, as we all know how quickly buns (especially babies) can go downhill if something upsets their gut badly. A messy bum is also, of course, a big risk for flystrike at this time of year. It may also be that the junior pellets are too rich for her, and changing to adult ones may help.

Sorry, this isnt really helping... Personally, I think the woman needs to reduce them whilst at the same time introducing a good brand of adult pellets VERY carefully, till the adult are the only ones left, then play it by ear whether to reduce or increase them any more. Of course if she's not experienced with rabbits playing it by ear is easier said than done.

Back