• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post-Spay care

ChloeBunny

Warren Scout
Hi everyone

I know this will have been asked dozens of times before but I cant help being over-protetive and I'd just like a little reassurance that all is well.

Chloe had her spay yesterday. The vet was very happy with how it went and Chloe has been eating small amounts of hay pellets and herbs/veg and has been drinking aswell, not as much as usual though. She has peed and pooped again not as much as usual but poops look good size/shape.

Chloe is being very quiet and mostly sleeping/dozing and moving around every now and then (I stayed on sofa last night and checked her every couple of hours :oops: )

I made sure I got extra pain relief for her but as she seems to be ok in herself for now I havent given her any this morning. Should I give her some anyway? or only if she stops eating or looks hunched or otherwise uncomfortable? She has had her breakfast pellets (about half normal amount) and has had some hay and a drink and is now snoozing in her hay box.

Any advice would be great :)

Morning,

I don't know if this is right or wrong but am sure the vet would have told you.

If you have the pain relief to give her and the vet has ok'd it, I would give it anyway just to help her out if she needs it as she obv cant tell you if she feels even a little bit of pain.

She sounds like she is doing really well. When we got Luna spayed she was quiet for 2 days then bouncing round the garden almost back to normal on the 3rd day.

Hope she gets back to normal soon

Sam

if it was me id give the metacam anyway provided it doesnt stress her too much to take it, but thats because id worry about the last dosage wearing off later on (depending what time she had it yesterday) it sounds like she is making good progress xx

She was given a 24 hour dose late morning yesterday so I guess it's about time for the next one. I know it wont do her any harm to have another dose and I guess it's better to err on the side of caution if she is a bit uncomfortable.

Thankyou ever helpful RUers :thumb:

Chloe is being very quiet and mostly sleeping/dozing and moving around every now and then (I stayed on sofa last night and checked her every couple of hours :oops: )

I made sure I got extra pain relief for her but as she seems to be ok in herself for now I havent given her any this morning.

Just for the record, you have identified there that she is NOT ok in herself because she is being quiet and sleeping a lot, which would indicate she is not 100% (let's face it though, who would expect her to be), so even though she isn't sowing the signs of total agony, it doeesn't mean she doesn't need pain relief (people often take pain relief for stuff that isn't total agony but is painful or uncomfortable), so it's good that you're going to give her some.

Your bunny seems to be doing very well. She just needs peace and quiet in order to recover. It is very good that she has eaten something, they usually prefer grass or spring greenns at a time like this and aren't that interested in dried food, but still offer it. Hope everything continues going well.

Just for the record, you have identified there that she is NOT ok in herself because she is being quiet and sleeping a lot, which would indicate she is not 100% (let's face it though, who would expect her to be), so even though she isn't sowing the signs of total agony, it doeesn't mean she doesn't need pain relief (people often take pain relief for stuff that isn't total agony but is painful or uncomfortable), so it's good that you're going to give her some.

This :thumb:

You'd expect a human to be a bit lethargic following that sort of operation as well. :wave:

Youre all spot on. When you think what that kind of major op would do to a human it would be mad to think a bunny would be bright and cheerful less than 24 hours later!!. She had more metacam and perked up a bit :D she has had her evening veggies and scoffed them very quickly and has been nomming lots on her hay so we're getting there. Tomorrow evening will be 48 hours after the op so I'm thinking it will be ok to let her out for a little bit?

Mine are normally confined for many more days to ensure hey are healed enough and don't injure themselves. Equally mind have at least five days worth of Metacam too but longer if needed.

Back