• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

So Anxious Re the Myxo/RHD Vaccine- U/D-Not Having it This Year

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Of course I will (and already have) discuss all this with my Vets, but I cannot begin to explain how anxious I am about my Rabbits all having the new combo vaccine.

So many of my Rabbits are 8-10 years of age, some have chronic problems so vaccination may not even be an option for them

Some have had a bad reaction to previous VHD Vaccines and infact some have not had a VHD Vaccine for a few years because of the very bad reactions they had.

Everyone says that they are unlikely to react in the same way to the combo vaccine, but of course there is no guarantee.

What if the vaccine triggers a bad relapse of latent disease ? My Lop/Rexes (Morse and Co) clearly all carry a bacterial otitis. What if it sweeps through my warren :cry:

What if those with previous RTI relapse, Hal already has chronic pneumonia so wont be vaccinated anyway

:cry: :cry: :cry: STRESS :cry: :cry: :cry:

PLEASE DO NOT THINK MY HESITANCE HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH COST. WHILST I MAKE NO SECRET ABOUT MY FINANCIAL SITUATION MY VET FEES ARE 100% COVERED

I am just petrified about the new vaccine :cry: :oops:

I feel damned if I do and damned if I dont

:cry:

Last edited:
I just got it for my two last week. Now I know that every Rabbit is different, but my Inca has so many health issues going on it is unreal. Both were really ok with it.

Herbie wouldnt eat his veg the night after getting it, but he ate grass and dandelions after having me go out and pick them in the rain!

It probably won't help, but my Dexter has chonic pasturella with inner ear infections, last time he had the single myxi he had a relapse of his ear infections and his head tilt got reallt bad. He had the combined one a couple of weeks ago and I was dreading it and had the penecillin etc at the ready but he was fine, no head tilt, no flicky ears, no anorexia and no lethargy.

I know it is only one bun and every bun is different but he was ok. I hope it all goes well for you and your lot :)

I understand and share your concern - I have noted a couple of threads on here that seem to indicate there have been reactions to the new vaccine.

Alas we no longer have with us any buns that had myxi in the past and survived (which would for me have been a real issue given the make up of the new vaccine), but we do have two buns with lots of other issues, and also the three wildies who I hate vaccinating anyway . . I feel they are an 'unknown'

And with having had 3 cases of myxi in the last 11 years (we do live in a very high risk area) I cannot NOT vaccinate . .

I totally feel for you Jane. I'm petrified about having it done for Biscuit who is 100% healthy, and am in two minds about giving it to Ginger at all if she gets strong enough, considering the very bad reaction she had to her myxi vaccination.

If i feel like that about my two, i cannot comprehend how scared you must be about your warren :(

Big hugs.

I also totally hear you. My vets have not yet changed to the new vacc so it's not yet an issue but it's going to be the second they withdraw the single Myxo likely.

i worry too and i think if i still had dora (rest in peace) i would opt not to do her, because of her siezures, previously she had the myxi one only. as currently i only have dental bunnies and 2 elderly i will have to just do the vaccs as no other underlying health issues but yes it scares me very much that there is only going to be the combi available also i worry as i hear that those who previously had the solo vaccs will not always be covered fby the double vaccs because of the change in the way the vaccs are produced. this worrys me too,

I understand and share your concern - I have noted a couple of threads on here that seem to indicate there have been reactions to the new vaccine.

Alas we no longer have with us any buns that had myxi in the past and survived (which would for me have been a real issue given the make up of the new vaccine), but we do have two buns with lots of other issues, and also the three wildies who I hate vaccinating anyway . . I feel they are an 'unknown'

And with having had 3 cases of myxi in the last 11 years (we do live in a very high risk area) I cannot NOT vaccinate . .

agreed i no longer have chelsea but if i did it would worry me immensly (she had myxi and survived)

Could you get them done with the singles for now, and wait till there is more info on the combined? Or maybe just get the more healthy ones done with the combined at first? Not sure what vhd vaccine theyve had issues with in the past but from the way the vaccine is made, cylap-type severe reactions seem very unlikely.

Try not to be anxious over it, I'm sure your vet wont reccommend them if she doesnt feel they are safe. And even if your vet withdraws the singles soon, I think you should be able to get them elsewhere for a good while. As you have so many rabbits, maybe it would be worth asking them to put the singles aside for you, for when you need them.

I can fully understand that. Mine had the single myxi in April, my vet still had questions at the time for the combined, and I'm glad because it means mine should be near the end of those having it. Have been trying to watch the threads and as far as I can tell it seems that there isn't so much flare up of existing conditions but some rabbits exhibit mild signs of myxi.

I'm still going to go by my same rules for the single vaccinations. Grim won't be vaccinated because he has too many problems. I know a lot of people are getting previously unvaccinated rabbits done, but I think it would still lower his immune system and I can't afford that for him, it's low enough as it is. Smoo will be done in the Autumn, but I'm curious to see how the rabbits who have had reactions recover first.

After a long chat with our Vets my Rabbits will NOT be having the new vaccine this year. C has put aside some Nobivac Myxo vaccines for us and all my 'well enough' Rabbits will be having them and then the Anivac VHD Vaccine

Yes, I may be being ridiculously paranoid, but I just don't feel happy with giving my Rabbits the new combo vaccine at this stage.

Last edited:
Your Rabbits so your choice. :)

The main thing is that you are getting them vaccinated (where well enough)

my vet also said she was holding out as long as possible so that as much info and feedback about the new vaccine was available - although not (as far as I know) stcking up on the single vaccines -

I am undecided what to do as well.

It would be considerably easier and cheaper and less stressful for my buns to have the combined vaccination as my vet is happy to come out and do them at home for me BUT Molly has had myxi and survived. Dylan has had myxi and survived and is elderly with recurring eye problems and Furby keeps getting abscesses.

I am wondering about whether to have my younger, healthier buns vaccinated with the combination and the others with the single vaccine. I wouldn't have wanted Dylan to have VHD anyway - he is just too frail now.

But I worry I am making the wrong decision :(

My vet didn't know much about the combined vaccine when I mentioned it and said it is up to me, although he did read the RU thread on the subject and said how much good advice there was on forums:D

After a long chat with our Vets my Rabbits will NOT be having the new vaccine this year. C has put aside some Nobivac Myxo vaccines for us and all my 'well enough' Rabbits will be having them and then the Anivac VHD Vaccine

Yes, I may be being ridiculously paranoid, but I just don't feel happy with giving my Rabbits the new combo vaccine at this stage.

I dont think you are being paranoid at all. The fact is that the lab tests can only show us so much, and we dont get a full picture of the reactions that bunnies will have until it starts being used on a large scale, which wont be for a good few months yet. With so many bunnies that are elderly or have compromised immune systems, it's common sense to be cautious.

My rabbits will be getting the combined, as they are going to be outside when they are in boarding and I feel the extra myxo protection is worth the risk, but neither have had proper reactions to vaccinations before or have serious illnesses (just mild snuffles) and they are fairly youngish. In your position I think I'd hold off too, as the combined has only been available for a short while.

I feel exactly the same Jane, I am dreading when they do withdraw the Nobivac Myxo vaccine which I know they will at some point in the near future.
I have spoken to our vets about it and they are happy to continue with the single vaccines for the time being.

Got Barney a single myxo today as my vets are having big problems getting hold of the combined apparently.

Got Barney a single myxo today as they are having big problems getting hold of the combined apparently.

Interesting . . . we had the singe vac vhds last week for 5 of ours. 10 more due in June so will see if we are offerred the choice then or whether our vets is sticking with the singles for now as they aid they would.

I trust our rabbit vet completely, his knowledge and experience is vast. 6 of our 9 were due their myxi and VHD and I thought having read so much on here that I would be advised to go for the new combined vaccine. I was wrong. Our vet said he was hanging on to the single vaccination as long as he could but acknowledged that the single vaccine would run out soon as manufacturers had already stopped making it.

Apparently the 'challenge' was very small and I think he said that 2 out of the 12 rabbits in the challenge developed 'a typical myxi symptoms'. This means very little to me but I know our vet wants more information and feedback before he changes through choice. His fear (and mine) is that soon our choice will be taken away.

When our next three are due I guess I will have to make the same difficult decision as some others here.

Back