• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Little Teddy has an allergy

Sophied

Warren Scout
My sweet little Teddy bun has an allergy :(

As some of you might know, I was a bit concerned about him sneezing sometimes (although not as bad as some buns I've seen on videos!). I took him to the vet and she reckoned it was an allergy. Anyway, I've been keeping a note of when he sneezes and what goes on that day etc. and I'm convinced he is allergic, either to dust or hay. I feel quite bad because when I adopted Teddy he was an outdoor bun, and now my pair are indoors. Ruby has been indoors all her life (but gets out on nice days in the run) and prefers it inside, and Teddy prefers it outside… what can I do?!

So, what can I do to help him? He isn't distressed as such but it can't be nice for him. Anybody got anybun with a similar problem? Dust free hay is a no brainer. Have soaked in past but buns hated it. Should Teddy be on meds? Any other tips? He is currently on carpet and carefresh in his litter tray.

In other news, Teddy let me kiss his nose for the first time today (he has been very nervous as he's a rescue bun) and when I pulled away he reached out and kissed me back :love::love::love: I feel so pleased that he trusts me now after being treated so horribly in the first part of his life!

Awwww, Teddy sounds lovely and giving mummy big kisses too that's so sweet. Hopson does that to me every morning and I always melt when he does it :love: Have you tried different types of hay and bedding as there are a large amount on the market at the moment?? I'm thinking of completely changing my layout as I've a feeling the smallest amount of dust isn't helping Pixie's runny eyes lately. I'm opting for using vet bed with newspaper and investing in hay from 'dust free hay.com'. It's a bit more pricey than my normal bales of hay from a local farm but if it helps her it will be worth it. I'm also going to try and hoover out any cobwebs in their house too as I'm sure these aren't helping either (I'm going to invest in some sticky fly paper to catch any bugs etc). Let us know how you get on :D

:wave: Hello!

Yes I have dust free hay :) I'd love to use newspaper but his girlfriend is a wee menace and rips it up till its in teeny tiny pieces and I don't want her ingesting it!

The thing is, it seems like when I do clean and Hoover it makes him sneeze- possibly because of everything flying through the air.

Your poor bun with runny eyes! Luckily Ted's eyes are clear.

X

Back