• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Questions about baby rabbits...

martlou

Warren Veteran
Hello all :wave:

I had a message on Facebook from one of the two hairdressers at the salon I go to. She has just bought a baby bunny (Nutmeg, now 10 weeks old) and was asking me lots of questions about diet etc. She seems very keen to do the best she can for Nutmeg and I think took on board everything I had to say about housing, spaying etc. The trouble is we've never had a baby and so I wasn't sure what age some things should be done at, help is appreciated, thanks!

So, questions are
1) How old does Nutmeg need to be before she can be spayed?
2) As above re vaccinations?
3) When can veg / fresh grass be introduced (she has a run in the garden so may already have had some bits of grass, not sure)
4) What sort of toys might be appropriate for a baby and what about those willow / seagrass balls that ours love?

I've sent her the link for this site but is there anything else she might particularly need to know now? The bunny was bought from a garden centre and unfortunately when she enquired about a friend for Nutmeg she was told they don't recommend a friend unless they are from the same litter :cry:. I've told her this isn't right and that all bunnies will really thrive with a friend, but I'm not sure of an appropriate age to bond either (I recognise the need to make sure that if the male was neutered first he'd still be fertile for 6 weeks or so).

Thanks in advance for help :D

1) How old does Nutmeg need to be before she can be spayed? - most vets prefer to wait until a doe s 6months old, or over 1kg weight
2) As above re vaccinations? now with the combined it will be ok to get that done, but f getting sngle ones, then myxi from 8weeks and vhd from 10weeks
3) When can veg / fresh grass be introduced (she has a run in the garden so may already have had some bits of grass, not sure) i waited untl sox was a few month old then graduallyl ntroduced so not to upset his tummy
4) What sort of toys might be appropriate for a baby and what about those willow / seagrass balls that ours love? mine have all loved the willow toys, anything thats safe and chewable they will love

1) How old does Nutmeg need to be before she can be spayed? - most vets prefer to wait until a doe s 6months old, or over 1kg weight
2) As above re vaccinations? now with the combined it will be ok to get that done, but f getting sngle ones, then myxi from 8weeks and vhd from 10weeks
3) When can veg / fresh grass be introduced (she has a run in the garden so may already have had some bits of grass, not sure) i waited untl sox was a few month old then graduallyl ntroduced so not to upset his tummy
4) What sort of toys might be appropriate for a baby and what about those willow / seagrass balls that ours love? mine have all loved the willow toys, anything thats safe and chewable they will love

Thank you very much :D

Back