• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Shakira possible myxomatosis

shakiraminilop

Warren Scout
Shakira had her first injections last fri I noticed she a bit sniffly on mon then on we'd I noticed
Her genitals so swollen ( she has been done) took her to vets they were quite shocked and sed
Could be a reaction to the rear guard or injections or start of myxomatosis I have keep eye on her she's on baytrill antibiotics I just can't stop crying she's normal in her self eating etc. mum
Seys could be side effects that's she's getting from jabs any experiences or help plz ?

I don't have any experience but I can imagine how you're feeling right now. Didn't want to read and run. Vibes for your little lady x

is there any reaction around the jab sites? my bun reacted to the myxo jab the first time he had it. He was fine in himself but about a week after developed a lump at the base of each ear, where the vet had done the dose under the skin. They told me its very unusual, she had seen loads of buns and only once before came across it, same reaction but more severe. The drug company say a reaction is common, but in my vets experience it is not. They rang the drug company, to report it, which they are required to do. Has she got any reaction at the jab site? how long ago did she have the injection? is this her first myxi jab?

I hope this is just a reaction to it.

just re read, the timing, and fact she is eating, and it being her first ones do sound like it could be a reaction if its anything like mine. have u spoken to the vet yet, what do they say. they need to notify the drug company tho

Last edited:
What injections did she have?

I was wondering this. I know of two other people whose rabbits have had the combined jab and they have shown signs of myxi. Before the single jab didn't have the real virus in but this one does so I'm wondering if some rabbits are showing some signs of myxi just like when someone has a flu jab. I hope it's just that and she's okay.

I was wondering this. I know of two other people whose rabbits have had the combined jab and they have shown signs of myxi. Before the single jab didn't have the real virus in but this one does so I'm wondering if some rabbits are showing some signs of myxi just like when someone has a flu jab. I hope it's just that and she's okay.

exactly my thoughts - recall a bun on here with a very myxi looking eye that was a reaction to the combined vaccine

heya yes was the combined injection she had on fri my other rabbit has had his done today both with rearguard. the vet phoned the company and they said they had not had any reactions as yet to that so thats why she cannot say for sure. shakira is a frail thing catches everything and has bad guts etc not very good system so im not suprised if it is a reaction. but the poor lil thing looks like she has grown a pair ov mens bits :( i just worried will turn out bad.

she on antibiotics hopefully clear it up

No reaction around the jab area

she is nearly two and i didnt want to do the jabs etc but i will be going on hols in oct and she be boarding! so needed to be done

Hopefully that will just calm down again. This jab is a lot more effective because it does use the actual virus. The old one didn't it used a very similar virus so buns quite often still caught myxi but it was nowhere near as serious. I think it sounds very likely that it is a reaction, I hope it's just that, and if it is I would get your vets to contact the manufacturer to let them know.

Is she on any painkillers/anti inflammatory like metacam/loxicom. I think that would be quite useful to reduce the swelling and I think it's common to use with myxi buns. I would ask the vet if you can do that if you're not already. Then you can relax that she's not in any pain.

Back