• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I know this gets asked a lot re: insurance

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
Those of you who have a few buns (4 or more) do you have insurance for all of them? I was just looking at pet plan and for my six it would cost the best part of £60/month.

I think I'd prefer to put that amount of money in a savings account each month ....

I have 4 and they are all insured with petplan :wave: i couldn't afford emergency treatment otherwise, I don't think saving the same amount would cover it at all, unless you're really lucky!!!

I have 3 now did have 5 but all was insured and still are insured with pet plan good job as well the amount of times I been at vets last 6 months :)

Those of you who have a few buns (4 or more) do you have insurance for all of them? I was just looking at pet plan and for my six it would cost the best part of £60/month.

I think I'd prefer to put that amount of money in a savings account each month ....

I think you just have to weigh up whether you could afford a large vet bill. That is, of course, the problem with any insurance - you never know when, or indeed whether, you are going to need it.

I'd definitely recommend insurance for 4 bunnies unless you have £1000's accessible at short notice. We have had stasis episodes run into £500 in just a week just for one bunny.

~Jane

Last edited:
I had this dilemma - I went from one bunny to 4 bunnies in quite a short space of time, and thats obviously a lot more money each month!

I just thought to myself, all the reasons that I decided to insure Sweep rather than put a tenner into a savings account for him, still apply to all the other buns. 4 buns = 4 times the risk that they will get poorly. Just because you would be putting more into a bank account every month doesn't mean the risk is mitigated more, as there are more bunnies!!!

So I now have insurance for all 4 :thumb:

Yes I have insurance for 4.

Some diseases are contagious, so if you have to claim it might be for all four. Pet Plan cover £2,000 per year per rabbit so to have the equivalent in a savings account for four rabbits you need £8,000 and you need to be able to replenish that savings account every year!

If you have that much money and are willing to take the risk that you will have to spend it all on vet fees then yes, you don't need insurance. If you couldn't afford it then you need insurance :)

If you are willing to risk a bit of your savings in exchange for lower premiums go for P@H for LIFE policy. I think their cover limit is £1,500 so you would be "risking" £500 per bun per year vs petplan in exchange for a small monthly saving.

At the moment only 1 of my 4 is insured - I insured Mavis as she is younger and healthy so has no exclusions and it means that she will be covered for life for anything that happens. I didn't do the others as I thought they are all older now so we are less likely to do expensive interventions and many things wouldn't be covered as they hav occurred before earlier in their lives. However in recent months I have spent about £200 on Dudley and his eye ulcer and about £150 on Harry and his abscesses, so it would definitely have been better for me to insure them all!

Mavis is insured with pets at home, I figure that I stand more chance of costing them money out of the policy than them making any money out of me, and it is much cheaper than petplan. Obviously it's not comparing like with like, but lifetime cover for Mavis with pah was about £85 a year.

I have two and they are both covered. Just as well as they have had many problems in their short lives. The latest is Widget's Glaucoma which will probably need constant treatment. Considering her first diagnosis and treatment was £213, plus another £50 going in in the next few weeks, I'm finally getting to the point where I'm getting more out than I'm paying in. At this stage I've probably still paid more out than I've received but if this treatment is ongoing I'm really glad I'm covered!

Nope, I don't think it's worth it if you have more than 2 buns really. I have money in a savings account which is there for any emergency vet bills.

I've got eleven buns and eight cats and only two of the buns are insured. The premium for all the animals would be horrendous.

I know I put aside £65 a month for two. Both of them were ill in a very short space of time and I was short and have had to ask my parents to help me out. Neither of these problems would have been covered by insurance though (Grim I know would not be covered and Smoo most likely wouldn't have been covered for this particular thing due to her history) so even if I had been paying insurance I still would have had to pay out. I think if all rabbits do not have a history of any illnesses I would want insurance for all of them. But then again if a rabbit with a history of stasis breaks their leg... Insurance is all about gambling. I prefer just to save, but after being caught out with both of them I think if I get another rabbit in the future I would insure them.

I pay £22 a month to insure George and Gemma and just couldn't manage the premiums for the other buns and cats.

I am really, really lucky that I have a friend who will lend me the money if I am stuck and allow me to pay him back with no interest. I also have a large overdraft facility and if I am really desperate a credit card so I do have back-up.

I have three elderly cats and two 'mature' bunnies so I know my vet expenses are likely to increase. I won't be getting any more cats unless I can cat proof the garden when I move but I will probably always have a large warren:D

I know I put aside £65 a month for two. Both of them were ill in a very short space of time and I was short and have had to ask my parents to help me out. Neither of these problems would have been covered by insurance though (Grim I know would not be covered and Smoo most likely wouldn't have been covered for this particular thing due to her history) so even if I had been paying insurance I still would have had to pay out. I think if all rabbits do not have a history of any illnesses I would want insurance for all of them. But then again if a rabbit with a history of stasis breaks their leg... Insurance is all about gambling. I prefer just to save, but after being caught out with both of them I think if I get another rabbit in the future I would insure them.

This. Kinda. It's not worth me insuring any of mine bar Smudge due to preexisting conditions but with a healthy rabbit I would insure. I keep meaning to get around to seeing about insuring Smudge but I need to do some budget calculationings. I put a set amount aside a month into a special bunny fund account which I have a card for so I just use that card at the vets.

Back