• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sad for the lady in the shop's sister. :(

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
There is a woman who works in the corner shop and somehow I got onto the subject of rabbits with her. Her sister is as obsessed as all of us are about bunnies and we always end up having a long chat. She had two rabbits who were supposed to be the same sex I think and they weren't. By the time the babies appeared mum was pregnant again. Dad was done and she planned to keep them all. She has a huge enclosure in the garden, a big aviary type thing with a hutch in it. She ended up with 11 rabbits all together. Today I went in and she told me someone had broken into her sister's back garden and just let the rabbits out. They managed to get them all back but two of the 3 month old babies. One they saw get attacked and killed by a cat and the other is still missing. She is so upset. She said the rabbits were so friendly they would have just walked up to a cat. The rabbit enclosure wasn't padlocked because the garden was but someone had climbed over and just let them out, they hadn't even stolen anything. Some people are just sick. :(

Or possibly someone simply (and dangerously) ignorant. Someone who may have thought it was cruel to have all those rabbits penned up so they let them out to live a more natural life. I do know someone who is stupid enough to do something like this truly imagining they are doing the best thing for the animals. They think they are in favour of animal rights... :roll:

At least the majority were safe... but how does she prevent it happening again? :(

Or possibly someone simply (and dangerously) ignorant. Someone who may have thought it was cruel to have all those rabbits penned up so they let them out to live a more natural life. I do know someone who is stupid enough to do something like this truly imagining they are doing the best thing for the animals. They think they are in favour of animal rights... :roll:

At least the majority were safe... but how does she prevent it happening again? :(

She's put locks on the rabbit pen now. I want her to join RU but she hasn't yet.

Oh how awful :( I hope she is alright. At least most of them are safe. Poor buns. I hope she can find the missing one.

I always worry about that happening to mine since reading a story about some teens that set fire to a pet rabbit in someones garden. We have big 6/7ft fencing but in the night if I ever hear something that doesn't sound right or the security light comes on I am always at the window to make sure no one is there. It always turns out to be a bush moving in the wind or something though...

I can't imagine how awful it must feel to have someone break into your garden and do something to your buns :cry:

:shock: Oh my.

I know know of someone who got put in jail for releasing a load of rabbits from some enclosure, not sure of the ins and outs, but he was protesting about animal rights and is a hardcore vegan. You'd think they'd do a bit of research and realise that your average domesticated rabbit isn't going to last five minutes in the wild. Idiot.

we have a cctv camera that we don't use if she wants to borrow it for a while.

I don't know them that well so I wouldn't feel comfortable lending them someone's stuff, but thank you for the offer. :)

I'm so happy mine are inside right now, makes me feel so much better. Fire is a huge worry of mine as well as flooding. I don't like the idea of having a padlock in case there is a fire and I need to get them out quickly and I'm fumbling with keys. And if it flooded they'd be stuck. They're on the second floor so they should be safe from a flood. I get a lot of paranoid thoughts!

How awful :cry: I have padlocks on all the doors to the runs and sheds and a security light, but I still worry about fire. There have been two or three stories in the local paper about people setting fire to hutches and aviaries. My garden can't be seen from the road, but I still worry. There are some idiots around. :evil:

Back