• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Malignant Melanomas: Anyone tried to 'treat' one on a rabbit?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
As the title says . .

its by the eye and excision of the whole thing is not a preferred option.

If you have had a bun with melanoma and NOT treated in any way (probably our only option - but am hoping someone may come up with something) how long have they lived for?

We had a girl who came to me in the August with a lump (like pea sized in the skin). After a stupid fiasco at the Centre vets they didn't remove it and couldn't drain it or burst it, so I left it. After some months I knew I had to do something so funded the removal myself and then adopted her when it came back as malignant. That was in the January. That showed that her liver was failing and the suspicion was that that was secondary cancer.

She was fine until the end of April when her breathing became laboured and we knew it was terminal because it had spread to her lungs (could find no other cause for her laboured breathing). On 20th June we had to let her go.

So we had her here for 10 months, but she came with a very established tumour.

Genna had a malignant melanoma removed in october. She died last week from a suspected tumour some where inside her head :(

This was Starfish's lump. It was suspected of being a malignant melanoma. W found it at the beginning of May, it was removed two weeks later but started growing again a couple of weeks later. By 5.5 months after this first one was found she was covered in lumps and had one at the base of her ear growing into her head and we had to let her go.

StafishTum2.JPG

so sad all of them :cry:

thank you for taking the time to share these with me -

he has had it for a while already - but it is inoperable where it is without removing half of his face `(and eye)

we already take each day as an 'extra' due to his inner ear abscess so no change really . . . its just that the abscess seemed to be 'holding' and not getting any worse so we were hoping - now this is just an added thing.

Back