• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A little update on my snuffly bun Boris

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
Well, some of you know that my little man Boris has chronic snuffles & my lousy local vet didn't wanna keep treating him, but told me to have him PTS :evil: Yesterday we went to the rabbit savvy vet further away (the trip took 2 hours in total :shock:), who examined him and gave us more Septrin :thumb: She was really good and explained to me about the illness (not much that I didnt know already having done so much research lol) and said that giving him Septrin repeatedly wasn't gonna be a problem as long as he responded to it etc. :) So he's now back on it, hopefully it'll sort him out, he's sneezing a lot :(

I'm impressed with how well the buns coped with the trip as well, Boris as usual took a while to settle down once we got back. But I think it was a comfort for him to have Bella with him :) Bella the crazy girl wanted to hop around and explore the vets office, I had to very quickly put the top of the carrier back on to prevent her from hopping out :lol: She didn't like being in the car at all but she went back to normal very quickly when we got back :) Wasn't expecting that of her for some reason!

Thanks :) He made me quite concerned this morning after refusing to eat more than half of his Septrin banana, but he's been eating other stuff since so I'm guessing he was just cross with me still :roll:

Aww, great news! I was just about to PM you and ask about the little guy. It looks like you've found a really good vet, worth the travel I think. :D

Smoo always like to have a hop around the vets when Grim is being seen. She almost chewed through the wires on their PC once. :shock: It had just been fixed and the technician hadn't taped all the wires up.

I can't believe how silly yourr old vet was. PTS over repeated antibiotics, because antibiotics long term aren't good. Like being put to sleep is better? :evil:
I really hop Boris responds to the treatment. :wave:

Sounds like a really worthwhile journey :)

Boris has always been an RU fav. of mine so I am glad that he is getting his meds :)

Thank you guys :D

Jenova: Haha, bless! Bella would've done that if give the chance too, little monkey :lol: Yeah, the other vets were :censored::evil: If that statement alone didn't convince me, their theory of the bacteria "mutating and spreading to humans" definitely did. Never going back there again! :evil: I'm wondering if there's a way of reporting them, really don't want this to happen to someone else :(

Kermit: Boris says fank yoo, not that he didn't know how cute he is (he takes advantage of this regularly to beg for treats) :roll: But he appreciates the support and so do I :) I think your bunnies are beautiful as well :) And your Kermit was always a favourite of mine.

I'm glad you've found a vet with a bit more compassion - can't believe he'd suggest pts rather than give long term abx.

Oscar has been on Septrin for snuffles for the past two years, and it keeps his symptoms under control really well., so I hope you have the same result!

I'm glad you've found a vet with a bit more compassion - can't believe he'd suggest pts rather than give long term abx.

Oscar has been on Septrin for snuffles for the past two years, and it keeps his symptoms under control really well., so I hope you have the same result!

yikes I didn't realise they could be on it THAT long-term :shock: I've been stressing about V being on it 4 WEEKS :oops: Feel stoopid now :oops::oops::oops:

It's so nice ( well not for the bunnies but you know what I mean!!) to know I am not alone! I've never had a snuffles bun and it's been so upsetting.

Well, some of you know that my little man Boris has chronic snuffles & my lousy local vet didn't wanna keep treating him, but told me to have him PTS :evil: Yesterday we went to the rabbit savvy vet further away (the trip took 2 hours in total :shock:), who examined him and gave us more Septrin :thumb: She was really good and explained to me about the illness (not much that I didnt know already having done so much research lol) and said that giving him Septrin repeatedly wasn't gonna be a problem as long as he responded to it etc. :) So he's now back on it, hopefully it'll sort him out, he's sneezing a lot :(

I'm impressed with how well the buns coped with the trip as well, Boris as usual took a while to settle down once we got back. But I think it was a comfort for him to have Bella with him :) Bella the crazy girl wanted to hop around and explore the vets office, I had to very quickly put the top of the carrier back on to prevent her from hopping out :lol: She didn't like being in the car at all but she went back to normal very quickly when we got back :) Wasn't expecting that of her for some reason!

Can I ask which vet is was if you don't mind? :D * just nosy* and taking notes for future

Can I ask which vet is was if you don't mind? :D * just nosy* and taking notes for future

She's in Sweden so I don't know if that nullifies your question? :wave:

Grim's been on antibiotics since he got snuffles, so probably a year or so now. He'll probably be on them for the rest of his life and at about 6 years old that could be another four years or more.

She's in Sweden so I don't know if that nullifies your question? :wave:

Grim's been on antibiotics since he got snuffles, so probably a year or so now. He'll probably be on them for the rest of his life and at about 6 years old that could be another four years or more.

Oh. Won't be travelling to see them then :oops::oops::oops::oops: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks Jenova. I just can't believe how long it takes before seeing any improvement. It's disheartening. With most other stuff, you get treatment, they get better - simples. Not with snuffles ' eh? :?

Yep I'm in Sweden. And rabbit savvy vets are A LOT harder to find here than in the UK :( The one I went to yesterday is literally the only one relatively close to me, the other ones are all 1.5 - 2 hours away :( I don't know why that is, because rabbits are fairly popular pets here. But people do tend to see them as disposable pets :( so probably won't put any effort into getting them to the vets if they can just go out and get a new one :cry: One of the many reasons why I disagree with pet shops selling them for £20 :evil:

Snuffles is a difficult thing to deal with unfortunately :( If there was a way of going back in time and somehow preventing Boris from developing it, I would. But he has it now so we just gotta stay positive and make the best of things :) As long as they get the right treatment there's no reason why they can't live a happy life :D

Back