• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wrong Sexed Rabbits

Dave81

Mama Doe
Might be a daft question but how is it possible to be given a rabbit that's been sexed wrong?

Fair enough you might not be able to find the right bits but don't females have nipples so wouldn't that identify the right sex?

Lol I don't do bunny anatomy

I don't actually know this, but don't their nipples kind of 'grow' later?

I seem to remember my mums dog suddenly had these massive nipples one day lol and hadn't had them before she came into season (or whatever it's called)

Both male and female bunnies have nipples, just like males and female humans both have nipples ;) Rabbits don't have 'seasons' and rabbit nipples are the same size in both sexes, finding nipples isn't any indication of which sex a bunny is.

It's pretty obvious which is which when they are sexually mature, but when they are babies (i.e. prime sales age), the bits are much smaller and before they have developed the bits can look pretty similar if you're not experienced at what you're looking for - female bits can poke out a bit like a penis and sticks out about the same amount as a penis at that age - the main difference is that in a female the end is more like a slit and in males it's more like a dot - and you can sometimes feel testicles before they have descended in males. I still don't think it's that hard in most instances (there are a few when it can be very tricky and hard to tell when they are little) and don't think there is really any excuse for pet shop workers/breeders not to be adequately competent at it...and yet so many of them are not. When I was 17 and before I knew better, I went with a friend to a pet shop where she was sold 2 female rabbits. I looked at them later the same day and correctly sexed them as male and female. If an untrained 17 year old can get it right, it shouldn't be rocket science for people for whom it should be a fundamental part of their job, in my opinion!

Last edited:
My poor Scooter and Jigsaw are going to wonder what I'm doing when I go nipple hunting on both of them tomorrow :lol:

Harvey is definitely a boy and definitely has nipples, I was tickling his belly when I first found one, thought it was dirt on his skin/in his fur and tried to gentle ease it out with my finger nails :oops: unfortunately no matter how gentle you are, trying to pull a bunny's nipple off is a bit of a shock for the poor thing :oops: (don't worry there was no nipple damage, I was being very gentle even though I thought it was dirt, and he came straight back for nose rubs after he got over the confusion :D)

they are both definitely males..I saw their plums before the vet lopped them off! :lol:

Ha ha :lol:, I've not felt any sign of nipples on them whereas the girls I certainly have. I'm curious to try and find them on the boys now

Harvey is definitely a boy and definitely has nipples, I was tickling his belly when I first found one, thought it was dirt on his skin/in his fur and tried to gentle ease it out with my finger nails :oops: unfortunately no matter how gentle you are, trying to pull a bunny's nipple off is a bit of a shock for the poor thing :oops: (don't worry there was no nipple damage, I was being very gentle even though I thought it was dirt, and he came straight back for nose rubs after he got over the confusion :D)

Poor Harvey I can imagine his face

Back