• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Crooked front teeth :-(

vicki267

Mama Doe
Had the usual check up today and Bobbi's front teeth are growing crooked from the root.

I didn't see my usual vet and wasn't overly impressed with this one, mainly as he suggested she may need teeth clipping... Then said maybe burring down but also said removing could be possible. I'm to keep an eye on her, check her teeth and if they get worse take further action.

He said the length wasn't a problem, she has no spurs, she eats LOADS of hay, a variety of textures, the problem is they are growing crooked. Due to length not being an issue and I remember clipping teeth being a NO NO I would possibly agree that keeping an eye on and if they start growing apart, removing them may be the better option??

I'll post a picture tomorrow, this has happened fairly quickly, but she's still young so suppose it could be bad genetics coming out.

Any advice welcome.

Vicki

If they are still lining up enough to wear each other down then there shouldn;t be a problem. However if they are so crooked that they are no longer wearing down properly then they will need regular burring or possible removal :wave:

They are growing inwards from the centre (v shaped) but still fairly aligned, will definitely take a picture tomorrow and then maybe once a fortnight so that I can at least compare her situation.

Could it have been a knock or kick to the face (from husbun) that could have caused it instead of genetics as just concerned at how quickly this has happened?

Just be wary, Grim's suddenly started to grown wonky and it was an abscess in the root. Hope it's not that!

Try burring first and if they still don't line up well I would go for removal, so much easier for the bun in the long run.

Just be wary, Grim's suddenly started to grown wonky and it was an abscess in the root. Hope it's not that!

Try burring first and if they still don't line up well I would go for removal, so much easier for the bun in the long run.

Thanks for that, how would I know if it's an abscess at the root? She's not in pain and eating normally. I wasn't overly confident with the vet today, although I know her teeth are obviously a problem he just didn't go into too much detail. Seeing a better one in two weeks with Stevie so I'll probably take Bobbi back in with him to let the other vet give me some advice.

Sorry it's not great quality, it looks slightly worse in the photo than in real life but you cant really see the angle in the pic. Although the separation seems a lot worse than the quick glimpse I got at the vets yesterday.

She's still normal, I've given her more sticks etc to chew on although Steve will probably chew them all up first! Do you still think burring first, see if that works. How far do they burr them back and if they suggest clipping (which I'm sure the rabbit savvy vet wont) do I take her elsewhere?

IMAG0015.jpg

Cheers

Vicki

Do not let them clip the teeth. It can cause the root to shatter and then you're in for a whole load of extra problems!

It might be worth trying burring once, I assume they would bur them down almost all the way. This is what they did with Dexter's teeth. They were growing into his mouth at the top and out like tusks at the bottom. They did the same thing again so were just removed. Maybe discuss it with the vet.

Back