• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Castrated bun with no appetite!

MillyAlice

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,
Sorry I only post when I have a problem with Jasper but I'm not exactly a font of bun knowledge!
Jasper was castrated yesterday and the vets were pleased with how it went. We collected him yesterday afternoon after he'd come round and they'd hand fed him a little. He was woozy all evening, which we expected, but he had no appetite. He nibbled at a couple of leaves and had a tiny sip of water but that was it. He produced a tiny amount of poop. When I got up this morning, I noticed he hadn't eaten, and hadn't been to the bathroom at all :( we took him back to the vets who said he was a little cold, so they took him in for the day, gave him some antibiotics, and got him to eat a teeny bit. They gave me some Critical Care powder and told me to carry on with his Metacam.
Obviously the vet's been very helpful, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice or at least a similar experience. I feel like I'm in way over my head, giving him the syringes is horrible and I just want him to eat something :(
x

Have ya tried him with fresh herbs like Basil coriander,dandelions bramble leaves try keep tempting him I hope he gets better soon loads a get eating vibes coming over :)

I've popped some basil in there for him, thank you :D he has got blackberry, apple, strawberry, melon, dried blackberry leaves, hay, pellets, choccy drops... Anything I could think of! Thanks for the good vibes too, I just hate not knowing what's normal and what to expect!

Hope he's feeling better soon! Sounds like you are doing the right things, just making sure he's got plenty of his favourite foods around to nibble on. Good luck with the syringe feeding if you need to carry on :wave:

Thank you! It's weird, the vet said he was nice and active, but he's not done an awful lot since he got home, but he is washing and stuff so I guess that's all good! The syringe feeding is not easy, my OH is a doctor so he was pretty good at showing me how to do it, but he's at work now so it's just me! I've wrapped him in a towel and only a very small amount wound up on my jumper :p I think I may have mixed the Critical Care a little watery though, I'll thicken it up next time!

Hi MillyAlice

((sending vibes)) when my bun was done he was very quiet all through the night, and for some reason decided to sleep in his litter tray.. at one point though I noticed he was shaking so I phoned the vet and she said it might be the anasthetic, but later discovered, that it could possible be he needed a bit more pain relief too.. he was a lot brighter by the next day or so and started to show more interest in food.

The only reason I mention it is because looking back, I knew nothing about buns, metacam etc, and the vets at the time (who was a crappy vet anyway so I changed vets) never even gave me any pain relief to give him, and just said oh he be fine..

so might be worth checking with your vet, or just phoning (just in case) and asking if its ok to give him a little more pain relief if he needs it. but I'm sure the op does it take it out of them for a while and it was a good couple of days really before he started to be his usual self.

M

Hi :) thankyou, the reading I'd done before the surgery kinda made me think that it was a case of, either they come round in a few hours and are fine, or the anaesthetic takes them, I hadn't really seen a middle ground documented.
His poor little wound is very swollen which was concerning for me, but the vet said that this, too, was normal. I noticed in the medicine info it states that .1ml per kg can be administered but this is in cats. He currently has 2.4ml and he's a 2.85kg bun so maybe it can be a little more... My only concern with the Metacam is that as it's an NSAID it shouldn't be given on an empty tummy, but the vet said the pain relief was the most important thing. I can cope with him being a little quiet and not hopping around much, but I just really want him to eat a little more :(

Sending lots of recovery vibes for Jasper. It sounds like you've been doing all the right things. Has he done any more poo? What goes out is as important as what goes in.

I had Spenser neutered last year, and he was a while getting fully back to normal. He did start eating his favourites fairly soon though.

Thank you :) they say he passed a few more pellets at the vets and he's produced a few here too, they're very wet but I suppose that's to be expected. I've just done another feed, so that's another jumper covered in Critical Care and another little cry... I hate having to do it and I hate that he's feeling poorly :(

Don't worry about giving it on an empty stomach right now as you need to get him to eat, but you can also syringe feed him first. If you're having trouble getting the critical care out of the syringe try cutting off the end of syringe to make the hole wider. Offer him anything and everything you can think of. Porridge sometimes goes down well, made with a little water. I sometimes make mine with a bit of apple and banana too. And try fresh herbs like someone has mentioned.

dried blackcurrant leaves seem to be the way forward! Just hand fed him a couple of little ones... definitely better than nothing! I just went and got him some grass but not much interest there, but it looks like I've found at least one thing... Typical it's the one thing I don't have in abundance, we're near the bottom of the bag so its all little bits :p

Aw bless, I hope he feels better soon! Boris wouldn't eat for a couple of hours when he had been neutered and it was worrying, but he was fine the next day though. Sending vibes for your little man :) xxx

Your doing great:) and sure he will be fine.. but its soo difficult/ no IMPOSSIBLE not to stress.. (((((Vibes)))))

Thank you guys! I left some leaves in front of him and he ate them, I hand fed him some more and I've left another little pile behind so I'll see how it goes :D weird thing is, this is all food that was there the whole time... I think he's turned into a bit of a diva and won't eat it unless it's presented to him :p I really can't help but worry, when I dropped him off at the vet's yesterday it was so hard not to just scoop him up and run away!

I'll go give him his next dose of critical care and metacam, if he behaves i'll hand feed him to his hearts content for as long as he wants! :D

That was the worst feed yet... he's starting to realise what's going to happen when I pick him up... managed to get maybe 1.5ml or so metacam in and then only about .4ml critical care before he got so upset that I just had to stop... But I've seen him have at least one more little nibble before I dosed him up so hopefully it's starting to work!

If he starts getting stressed with the syringe feeding perhaps just try to temp him with more and more leaves/treats/pellets instead of force feeding him. All buns react differently to the anesthetic and the pain and it might take him a little while to recover from it. When Fiver had a dental he recovered very badly from the anesthetic and I had to give him the Critical Care food and he would only eat what I hand fed him. After a few days he started eating and passing poo again but it took him about a week to recover fully.

You're doing everything right. Sending lots of nomming vibes!

Is there anyway you think he would take the meds himself without a syringe? If he's taking food from you when you show it to him, maybe you could put them on/in something yummy and try to hand feed it? I used to give Hopscotch his meds mixed in mashed banana and spoon feed him, he'd just eat it straight from the spoon, although sometimes took a while to get it all eaten! Now I just put it on a plate for him and he eats it up himself and licks the plate clean.

Hi everyone, thought you might like a little update after all your help :)
Jasper's feeling much better now, he's not /quite/ eating as much as normal, but he slowly decided on new foods he wanted... first the leaves, then hay, then melon, then grapes, and I think he's had a little dried food. He's drinking, too, plenty enough judging by the amount of wee that came out of him overnight XD he's certainly feeling naughty again, tugging at the bars and trying to find anything he can to destroy (I can't lie, I'm looking forward to the effects of castration kicking in after a few weeks!). He has his post op appointment today so we can double check he's healing nicely :)
Thanks so much for all your good vibes
x

Back