• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please, Septrin dosage

IzzieBusy

New Kit
I was wondering whether if anybody could help me, by the way of background I got one of my rescue bunnies from Faye from honeybunnies about 5 years ago after seeing him om rabbit rehome, but I have not really posted on here.

Izzie my rabbit has got pseudomonas strain of snuffles :-( She was on Baytril for 3 weeks and although has not got any worse as such she has also not got any better. Anyway I took her back to the vets today and she has prescribed septrin. However, the dosage is 8 ml a day, which seems a lot to me. Izzie weighs 2 kg. The vet did double check the dosage as she herself said it was a lot but I was just wondering if anybody else has ever had this high dosage?

Also the vet has basically said that as she is 6, if she does not respond to these antibiotics there is not much they can do apart from an x ray to check her teeth, however if it is her teeth causing her a problem, there is still not much they can do :-( At present apart from sounding like a duck when she sneezes she is fine in herself and still eating and running about.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance, I am just nipping out so will not be able to reply straight away.

I believe that vets sometimes prescribe a very high dose of Septrin. I also have a 2kg bunny and was prescribed a very large dose of Septrin (I think it was about 4ml a day..maybe more) but did some research, some people said they could have a high dose without it doing much and some vets give about 1ml/kg or a similar dose. 8ml does seem like a ridiculous amount, though so I would ring the vets and make sure it isn't 0.8ml.

I thought the same, but she brought out a bigger syringe showing me 8 ml and I have just checked the bottle and it says 8 ml as well?

I am pleased I am not going mad thinking it seemed a lot!

Got to dash sorry but will be back later.

Thanks Vegan bunny, only just saw your post. I think I will ring the vets tomorrow and double check, even if she does think I am mad!

Sometimes it is best to triple check, even if it does make you look mental :lol:

Perhaps someone will reply who has given high dosages in the past anyway and put your mind at ease. Not something I've seen before, but doesn't mean it's not right! :)

Is it the adult Septrin (minty) or the paediatric (banana)?

The adult one is half the dose of the paediatric.

Oscar, who is 2.3kg has 1ml daily for snuffles and Strawberry was on 0.75ml for cystitis and weighs around 2kg.

I reckon the vet may have the decimal point in the wrong place - that is a very high dose. so double check it with vet again before you give it

That seems an awful lot. My bun Vince has same meds for same condition and is on 0.8ml and he weighs 1.8kg.
Triple check!

Thanks all, I will definitely wait until I have spoken to the vets tomorrow before giving her any. if she doubts me I will quote this forum! Lol

The nurse said it was the child version that tastes of banana. I did ask as Izzie hates baytril and I have to give it to her in toast or weetabix!

I will let you know how I have got on for future reference.

I hope all the buns on medication make a speedy recovery, I hate it when mine are ill.

Last edited:
That does sound like a lot but I'm not an expert :oops:

ETA: Boris gets 0.7 ml twice a day and he weighs 1.4 kilos.

Last edited:
The banana flavoured Septrin is the paediatric one which is 240mg/5ml in strength (so 1ml =48mg)

http://www.drugs.com/uk/septrin-paediatric-suspension-spc-7596.html

The dose rate for a Rabbit is 30mg/kg/12 hrs

Rabbits-Optimized-1.jpg

This would equate to giving 0.625ml/kg/12hrs

So a 2kg Rabbit would require 1.25ml every 12 hours.

Many thanks.

I have spoken to the receptionist who did not take kindly to my suggestion that maybe the vet has got it wrong :? However, I have faxed over all of the information and asked if they would mind just looking at it to put my mind at rest.

I will let you know how I get on, but if they come back and still say it is the correct dosage I think i am going to have to go to another vets anyway.

The vet has rang me back and said that 8 ml is correct and although the calculations that Jack's Jane very kindly did for me are correct the strength of Septrin is not? She then went to say she has consulted the rabbit books and I could infact give Izzie a double dosage of 8 ml morning and 8 ml evening :shock:

I am not sure what to do now! I have got to go and collect some more of the stuff as she did not have enough in stock so I might ask again to confirm the strength.

She has been recommonded as a rabbit savvy vet so I guess I need to trust her. What I cannot get my head around is that for a 6to 12 year old child they only prescribe 10 ml a day and they are a lot bigger than a rabbit!

Thanks again for everybody's help, it is much appreciated.

The vet has rang me back and said that 8 ml is correct and although the calculations that Jack Jane very kindly did for me are correct the strength of Septrin is not? She then went to say she has consulted the rabbit books and I could infact give Izzie a double dosage of 8 ml morning and 8 ml evening :shock:

I am not sure what to do now! I have got to go and collect some more of the stuff as she did not have enough in stock so I might ask again to confirm the strength.

She has been recommonded as a rabbit savvy vet so I guess I need to trust her. What I cannot get my head around is that for a 6to 12 year old child they only prescribe 10 ml a day and they are a lot bigger than a rabbit!

Thanks again for everybody's help, it is much appreciated.

Well it is definitely the strength I have. I have the bottle infront of me now. Tried to upload a photo of it but Photobucket is playing up

Perhaps there is a different strength available now too :?

Everything I have seen on the Internet also indicates that strength you mentioned.

I am hoping when I go they give me the whole bottle and I will be able to see for myself.

In the meantime I don't really know what dosage to give but would prefer to give less rather than more!

Back