• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Spaying Post-op care

Fiiddlestix

New Kit
Hello,
I had my female rabbit spayed yesterday and after 24 hours she has still not eaten anything or gone to the toilet.
I have been giving her fibreplex 3x a day and managed to take some water from my hand yesterday but that was only a few drops.
I have offered her timothy hay, apple, curly kale, carrots, nuggets and nutri care treats (these are all her faves) but she is not touching anything.
I have just picked up some critical care for her and have been told to feed it to her small and often...any ideas on how many mls i should be giving her per session?
Has anyone else had this issue, any tips?
She also lost her companion (who she had bonded with) a week and a half ago due to neurological problems and she has been down since then, i had her spayed now as i was planning on introducing her to a new bunny in a few weeks time, i didn't want to leave her alone for too long.
She has been sat in the same spot under my bed all day and only moves when i try to go near her.

Please help, all suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Really she needs to go back to a vet. Were you given any pain relief to take home for her?

When I was given critical care I was told to give 2 thirds of a packet a day, and just to mix it so that it's runny enough to come out of the syringe, while still being a paste consistency.
I would also give her a bowl of water to drink from as well as a bottle,
I hope she's ok and munching away again soon.

I spoke to the vets today who gave me the critical care, they just didn't give me any more advice other than small and regular and to bring her in tomorrow if things don't change. I gave her 5 mls about half hour ago as that i didn't want to stress her out so much and keep her there for too long but i'm not sure if that is enough? I've mixed in 4 tbsp (1 part powder - 3 part water) which i plan to give her throughout the day.

I spoke to the vets today who gave me the critical care, they just didn't give me any more advice other than small and regular and to bring her in tomorrow if things don't change. I gave her 5 mls about half hour ago as that i didn't want to stress her out so much and keep her there for too long but i'm not sure if that is enough? I've mixed in 4 tbsp (1 part powder - 3 part water) which i plan to give her throughout the day.

ETA: You answered.

She needs more pain relief - metacam doesnt last much longer than 12 hours, a jab yesterday could of been a few things, but wouldnt last until now, she needs more pain relief i expect.

Hello,
I had my female rabbit spayed yesterday and orafter 24 hours she has still not eaten anything gone to the toilet. I have been giving her fibreplex 3x a day and managed to take some water from my hand yesterday but that was only a few drops.
I have offered her timothy hay, apple, curly kale, carrots, nuggets and nutri care treats (these are all her faves) but she is not touching anything.
I have just picked up some critical care for her and have been told to feed it to her small and often...any ideas on how many mls i should be giving her per session?
Has anyone else had this issue, any tips?
She also lost her companion (who she had bonded with) a week and a half ago due to neurological problems and she has been down since then, i had her spayed now as i was planning on introducing her to a new bunny in a few weeks time, i didn't want to leave her alone for too long.
She has been sat in the same spot under my bed all day and only moves when i try to go near her.

Hello and welcome.

Your bunny really does need to see a vet asap. These dear little animals go downhill very rapidly.

It's sad to see that your first thread is about your poorly bunny.

I hope she starts improving very soon.

ETA: You answered.

She needs more pain relief - metacam doesnt last much longer than 12 hours, a jab yesterday could of been a few things, but wouldnt last until now, she needs more pain relief i expect.

Can i pick metacam up from a vets without prescription? There is a vets 2 minutes from my house but she's not registered at this one as i take her to the vets by my work.

Can i pick metacam up from a vets without prescription? There is a vets 2 minutes from my house but she's not registered at this one as i take her to the vets by my work.

No you can't, you need a prescription. For a vets to send a rabbit home with no follow up pain relief is barbaric. A lady would not have a hysterectomy with only 24 hours pain relief.

It sounds like your vets are less than ideal and it may be worth looking for a better vet in your area.

No you can't, you need a prescription. For a vets to send a rabbit home with no follow up pain relief is barbaric. A lady would not have a hysterectomy with only 24 hours pain relief.

It sounds like your vets are less than ideal and it may be worth looking for a better vet in your area.

Okay, thank you.

I got my pops spayed lat week and was sent home with four days worth of meds and told that if she still seemed in pain then i should go back and get more, defo worth a trip to your vets to get some, she will be in pain if shes not had something sonce yday ):

Hello there. You say your bunny was spayed yesterday. Do you have to take her for her 2 day check tomorrow like we do? I know it is worrying but I am sure as sure as you can be that she will be fine. Can you offer her some grass - they usually eat that if nothinng else. I Think she will start to eat by tomorrow. If not then you will have to take her to the vets. Hope she will be ok.

Is she eating the critical care? I had a lot of difficulty actually getting Holly to take it, in which case I would go back to the vet ASAP. Also, if she isn't showing any improvement I would get on the phone to the vet or go back ASAP rather than wait til tomorrow, that could be too late.

Ah I hope she's OK, a lot of rabbits seems to be being spayed on here and not being given any metacam to take home, just the injection which I was told lasts 24 hours then I was given 7 days worth of metacam to be given twice a day, fibreplex and also antibiotics. I'm sure she didn't need 7 days worth but happy to have more than none.

No wonder your little one doesn't want to eat, she's obviously in pain. Herbs are good to start her eating again or maybe bramble leaves but if she's in pain she won't want anything. Doughnut returned to her pellets last of all and she normally begs for them and they are her favourite.

I put her water in a bowl for her to access it easily, although she drunk from the bottle anyway! Because she wasn't in any pain after 24 hours she started eating and just carried on eating and getting better. She had to go back a week later to get her stitches taken out.

I'd insist on pain relief and go up and pick it up and then consider changing to a different vets.

Ava's doing well :)

After 48 hours of having to syringe feed her critical care as she would no touch anything (and she wouldn't poo either), i took her to work with me to see the vet...he gave her 4 injections for pain killers, to increase her appetite and to get her gut moving again.

I kept her in a cage out the back at work and 2 hours after the injection she finally started eating (only broccoli and curly kale but it's a start). After getting her home, over night she ate another plate of veg...for 2 days all she would eat was veg. She is now finally eating normally :).

Yesterday i introduced another male rabbit as she's been pretty down since Alfie died. Ava is now bouncing about and thriving. Thanks for your posts.

Back