• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Microchipping rabbits

Are your rabbits microchipped (currently or in the future)

• Yes

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • They will be

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • They wont be

Votes: 7 17.9%

• Total voters
Nope mine aren't shown but still have BRC 'rings' on their legs, anyone who found a rabbit should quite quickly notice a leg ring where as many people wouldn't think, or bother to take a rabbit to the vets to be scanned unfortunately

I never knew you could get them micro chipped until recently. I don't know if I ever would. I might consider it depending on my location and what the garden is like. But at the moment I don't think they need to have it :)

I've put no purely because all 4 are indoors, but saying that I think it would be the same answer if they were outdoors.

If they escaped I don't think anyone would be able to catch them if they saw them as they would all hop off

I spoke to my vets today about this because it's something I was thinking about for Archie and Izzy and she said that she thought it was unlikely anyone would bring a rabbit to the vets if they found one. She said they'd never had a stray rabbit brought into the vets, so I've decided not to for now, but I might get them microchipped in the future :)

Mine aren't microchipped as they are house bunnies on a top floor, so very unlikely to ever escape out of the house. If I had garden bunnies, I would consider microchipping. Though I am not sure of how much use it would be as even if someone handed one in, would anyone actually even think of scanning them?

I only got my 4 chipped because the RSPCA were doing it free for Rabbit Awareness week. It is unlikely that they would get lost, but Pebbles did go out the front door when I opened it, and as he normally stays under my feet (literally) I wasn't expecting him to hop off down the drive towards the road :shock: ( I caught up with him pretty quick!!)

Ive been told by the SSPCA that its there policy to scan any Dog, Cat, Rabbit, Parrot or Tortoise that get handed in as strays. (apparently they are the animals most commonly lost that are likely to be chipped)

Mine are microchipped and the new one will be because my vet does it for £5 extra while hes neutering them.

Ive been told by the SSPCA that its there policy to scan any Dog, Cat, Rabbit, Parrot or Tortoise that get handed in as strays. (apparently they are the animals most commonly lost that are likely to be chipped)

Mine are microchipped and the new one will be because my vet does it for £5 extra while hes neutering them.

How an earth do you chip a tortoise? :oops: :lol:

Scarlet was chipped by the RSPCA prior to us getting her and we had Orinoco done ourselves. I think anything that might help us get them back if they either got out or were malsciously let out (don't worry they are padlocked in their hutch/run but there are some evil folk about!) is worth it.

I got Daisy microchipped when she was spayed. I will only ever do it if they are going under GA. Therefore if any have a GA they will be chipped, as all of mine are neutered I am hoping not many of them will need more GA's so hopefully won't have any of my other 10 chipped, but if I ever get any more I will have them done when they are neutered (if they aren't already!)

We had about several rabbits brought to our branch last year that were strays and another one was brought in yesterday so it is possible they get lost! We put posters up and advertise in the local paper and have had about a 50% rate of finding the owner. None were chipped. I personally would only do mine if they were under GA as the needle is huge - there is a new chip coming out (or it may already be out) which is a lot smaller so I may re consider once I have seen it for myself!

Mine aren't. It's not something I've ruled out but equally it's not something I will definitely have done. They are all indoor bunnies and live upstairs as well so the possibilities of them escaping are quite slim.

Back