• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would you do....? (Released rabbits)

Just been on a walk with my dog Homer and my mum and spotted an English spot rabbit in a field! :shock: I thought omg that's a pet so wanted to go and catch it. Me and my mum walked down the lane because there was a woman sat in her car and that's when we saw 3 more bunnies!! So we went to ask her if it was her land and her rabbits. She told us she rented the land and yes they were her rabbits. She used to breed them and had them living in a stable (she doesn't like hutches as they're small) and someone released all her rabbits last year. :? She caught as many as she could and the others were the ones she didn't catch. She said they've lived like wild rabbits for a year now and been out since they were babies. She said they look healthier than her pet rabbits and she thinks they look beautiful running free. Which was true I have to admit... all binkying in the fields. :love: She thinks it would be cruel to catch them now and have them kept as pets and as they've been out since babies, you can't get to them anyway!

They looked happy enough but of course there's the risk of foxes. :( The lady said the bunnies never leave the land though and know all the hiding places. You wouldn't catch a wild rabbit and keep it as a pet would you? And that's how these buns have been living since they were babies so they are practically wild. :?

Would you catch them and have them living as pets when they are used to being free and have learnt how to live that way? I really don't know what the right thing to do is. If they'd been out for a few weeks then yes definitely catch them as they are vulnerable and probably would not survive at all. These have been out since babies though so would it be cruel to catch them? Oh and as they are that ladies rabbits if they were caught they'd be classed as stolen wouldn't they?

If they've grown up that way then I don't think it's right to suddenly keep them captive, but yes unfortunately they are less 'camouflaged' from foxes, maybe an enormous run or something could work, but if it's her land it's up to her really :/

ETA: even though there's more of a risk from foxes the babies are living free, they could of ended up cooped up in a 2ft cage for the rest of their life, I certainly don't agree with releasing pets because they aren't used to wild life but as you said they were released as babies, binkying, I'm sure they're having a great time, predators are just a natural thing, I think I'd rather have a short free life and be eaten than safe but miserable for 10 years

Last edited:
god thats a hard question
i probably guess that since they been out a whole year and are still amazingly alive there probally wild buns now and would not want to be a pet anymore but im no expert lol my guess is as good as yours :D

I think I'd leave them. If they've survived a year than maybe a year + of complete freedom is better than a year in a hutch in unknown conditions.

It's a difficult question though with many unknowns.

I'd leave them be. My rabbit was almost released outside before we got her and it is a pretty awful thing to do, but once the animal is accustomed to living free from human interaction, it wouldn't be fair to try to catch them: they are not carnivore animals like cats and dogs and pose little to no threat to the existing wildlife. The only thing that nags me is the reproduction aspect: they are not wild rabbits, they are domesticated rabbits that have been let loose. They are not meant to be populating the area they are in. Three or four "whole" domesticated rabbits can easily lead to a hundred inbred rabbits in a short period of time unfortunately and then they might become a pest to neighbours, unless there's a suitable population of foxes, racoons, etc. to keep them in check.

I'd leave them be. My rabbit was almost released outside before we got her and it is a pretty awful thing to do, but once the animal is accustomed to living free from human interaction, it wouldn't be fair to try to catch them: they are not carnivore animals like cats and dogs and pose little to no threat to the existing wildlife. The only thing that nags me is the reproduction aspect: they are not wild rabbits, they are domesticated rabbits that have been let loose. They are not meant to be populating the area they are in. Three or four "whole" domesticated rabbits can easily lead to a hundred inbred rabbits in a short period of time unfortunately and then they might become a pest to neighbours, unless there's a suitable population of foxes, racoons, etc. to keep them in check.

Yep the breeding worries me too. There are about 10 rabbits in total the lady said. She said it would be nice if they bred with a wildie cos the wild buns would have pretty colouring.... :roll:

If they have been there that long probably just leave them be, they will breed with wild rabbits and over generations become the same build and colour as them.
If they had been there for a week or so it would have be worth catching them up.

would also be inclined to leave them after that time. They have obviously developed some sort of way to keep themselves safe. Pretty amazing for such distinctive buns - they must stand out by a mile!

would also be inclined to leave them after that time. They have obviously developed some sort of way to keep themselves safe. Pretty amazing for such distinctive buns - they must stand out by a mile!

Yep! When we were walking past the field, I had literally just said to my mum "my friend told me she saw a dutch rabbit in that field!" Then we spot all the bunnies!! :shock:

Back