• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! have i made the right hutch/run choice???

Saj

Alpha Buck
Hello
in anticipation of the 2 bunnies we have adopted, we have purchased our hutch! It wasnt easy, we've been looking for days and time is of the essence as we need to bring them home next week. In the end, we got this because it is 2.15m long so they can run about if we are busy, and looked cute! But now i have some doubts, like the roof doesnt come up so we cant step inside to catch them or just play with them without letting them into the garden. but we cant get refund without paying for twice the postage! Help...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RABBIT-GU...&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=8436946015686306411#rpdId

Last edited:
If you were to get a run, or even a puppy play pen you could set that up around the front of the cage and then when you open the doors they don't have access to the whole garden just a little bit more and you could sit with them there!

Something like this... if you search 'playpen' on ebay you get loads of good results, you just have to wade through the loads and loads of travel cots!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dog-Pen-8...UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item8962858de1

Only thing is most rabbits can jump over them so they'd have to be supervised or the garden bunny proofed!!!

(letting them free in the garden would be wonderful, the more space they have the better!)

It's not just about width, the total floor space is important.

It might be helpful for you to work out square footage of your hutch, and of the one rabbit dan posted, and compare.

I would also say its too small, sorry.

I think I would send it back and get something a bit more conventional, where they have a larger inside space too. In the winter, when the weather's bad if they want to be in they won't have much room at all. I also would avoid anything where you haven't got easy access to them. Sometimes you might need to get them out in a hurry and I think you'll struggle with what you have.

hi

thanks for the link but the hutch/run you're showing is 6ft and the one we've bought is 215cm or 7ft1.

like the idea of playpen but have decided to rabbitproof the garden so we can enjoy them properly....

Something like rabbitdan linked too is enclosed. And then the run added gives i lots of space. The coop style runs are much more run than hutch so the space that is enclosed is quite small. Maybe have a look at the outdoor housing thread (link in my sig) to see the sort of solutions people have come up with. The ramp is also extremely steep and some rabbits will struggle with it, especially if they contract health conditions or as they get older.

Last edited:
hi

thanks for the link but the hutch/run you're showing is 6ft and the one we've bought is 215cm or 7ft1.

The issue really is over the amount of protected space, the one you have bought may have 7ft of floor space, but it is exposed floor space which will get wet and cold. This means that when it is wet, windy and freezing weather, they only have a very small upstairs space in which to toilet, sleep, rest and eat. It is really important not just that they have a good amount of overall space to enjoy, but that a decent proportion of that is protected from the weather, which this one isn't even though it is covered over the top. I'm sure you appreciate how nice it is to spend time inside a cosy house in the winter and not outside on wet and cold ground - buns needs are no different in that respect. The usual recommendation is a 6x2 hutch with an attached 6x8 run, to give buns a good amount of space both indoors and out. Personally I would send it back and go for something more conventional like a 6ft happy hutch with run attached, or you might be able to make some adaptations to this one by putting a base and sides on it so that it gives you a really nice sized hutch. I would suggest then getting some kind of additional run which you can either attach directly or via a runaround tunnel; that way you can give thema really good amount of freedom 24 hours a day and then enjoy some supervised time in the garden with them to really enjoy seeing them run around and play when you are there :D

Good luck with your new buns!

I've just done a comparison for you (was on phone earlier so couldn't :lol:)

Your hutch:

'Hutch' = 2ft 9 inches wide by 2ft deep by 1ft 8 inches tall = total floor space 5.8 sq ft (that is a very small hutch, and the bed area can't be more than 1ft by 2ft big, which isn't sufficient shelter at all)

'Run' = 7ft by 2ft 3 inches = total floor space 16 sq ft

Total floor space = 21.8 sq ft (or there abouts!)

6ft Hutch with 6ft by 4ft run (as linked above)

Hutch = 6ft by 2ft = 12 sq ft

Run = 6ft by 4ft = 24 sq ft

Total = 36 sq ft (which is still under min of 44!)

I would definitely try and send the one you've ordered back and get something else :thumb:

It wouldn't be too hard to adapt. I have a coop hutch and have added a base with some extra height and used tongue and groove to enclose the back and side, basically changing it to a two floor hutch rather that hutch with underrun. In the weather we have at the moment bunny's aren't going to want to be down stairs unless it is enclosed, so I've done this with mine. then if you have a run and bunny proof your garden surely it will be ok?

that's me told! I am new to all this, did look around for advice, but I went for the length and the fact we could put this on the grass. I did get some advice but no links to an actual hutch/run I could simply purchase and have delivered - my DIY skills dont exist

I think I will wait for it to come and assess if I can attach another covered area to it, either a new hutch or cover it myself. if not, back it goes and lesson learnt, the rabbits are more important than the postage costs hey.

WIll send a pic of the rabbits when they come home.

Now I have to choose some funky suitable names, they have pet rescue names but want to rename them. all suggestions welcome....

It wouldn't be too hard to adapt. I have a coop hutch and have added a base with some extra height and used tongue and groove to enclose the back and side, basically changing it to a two floor hutch rather that hutch with underrun. In the weather we have at the moment bunny's aren't going to want to be down stairs unless it is enclosed, so I've done this with mine. then if you have a run and bunny proof your garden surely it will be ok?

im hoping. Can I have a pic please, love seeing other people's buns and their set ups!!!

that's me told! I am new to all this, did look around for advice, but I went for the length and the fact we could put this on the grass. I did get some advice but no links to an actual hutch/run I could simply purchase and have delivered - my DIY skills dont exist

I think I will wait for it to come and assess if I can attach another covered area to it, either a new hutch or cover it myself. if not, back it goes and lesson learnt, the rabbits are more important than the postage costs hey.

Now I have to choose some funky suitable names, they have pet rescue names but want to rename them. all suggestions welcome....

Just a thought, but if you haven't recieved it yet, surely you could cancel if you wanted to? There's a cooling off period for internet purchases I think.

To be honest if you attached a 6ft x 4ft run to the hutch and put some weather waterproofing on it e.g corrugated plastic (and possibly put a piece of ply over the mesh part of the hutch to create a large bed area) it would be fine in my opinion.

To be honest if you attached a 6ft x 4ft run to the hutch and put some weather waterproofing on it e.g corrugated plastic (and possibly put a piece of ply over the mesh part of the hutch to create a large bed area) it would be fine in my opinion.

i like that idea. i am ashamed to admit that i thought i was getting two hutches...:oops:but now i realise a hutch is something covered up....

just want to give these bunnies a good life and enjoy them, they havent had a good start in life

i like that idea. i am ashamed to admit that i thought i was getting two hutches...:oops:but now i realise a hutch is something covered up....

just want to give these bunnies a good life and enjoy them, they havent had a good start in life

Don't be ashamed! You're in the right place for advice and I'm sure your bunnies are in for a great life :thumb:
It could be far far worse, there are many bunnies in tiny hutches that would kill for what you've bought.

thanks everyone. and if anyone knows of a spare run and you live near hertfordshire, do let me know

i thought i might call them charles and camilla or is that too cheesy?

Seriously do not be ashamed. This is what I was going to get for 2 rabbits when I started on here (as recommended by the pet shop) - http://ukpetsonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=588

I soon learnt that this was not big enough and looked on various sites for a new hutch. I looked all over the net and compared prices etc... I found the hutch I wanted (6ft x 2ft hutch and 6ft x 4ft run) it cost about £180. I then looked on gumtree and saw the same hutch but second hand (1 year old) for £75. I arranged to collect it and bought it for £50! It was in mint condition, looked barely used, hardly any chew or spray marks at all.
So I recommend you look on classifieds and second hand hutches too if you are considering buying a new one.

Seriously do not be ashamed. This is what I was going to get for 2 rabbits when I started on here (as recommended by the pet shop) - http://ukpetsonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=588

I soon learnt that this was not big enough and looked on various sites for a new hutch. I looked all over the net and compared prices etc... I found the hutch I wanted (6ft x 2ft hutch and 6ft x 4ft run) it cost about £180. I then looked on gumtree and saw the same hutch but second hand (1 year old) for £75. I arranged to collect it and bought it for £50! It was in mint condition, looked barely used, hardly any chew or spray marks at all.
So I recommend you look on classifieds and second hand hutches too if you are considering buying a new one.

yeh, there are so many hutches sold like that, maybe hutch sales should be regulated???

I suppose I should have really researched longer and bought a hutch and then found rabbits so could take my time, but we were at the pet rescue and I just feel in love with these two and really felt I just had to adopt them so had to then rapidly find a hutch with my inexperience

but by golly, this forum is fantastic, I'm hooked!

Back