• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth Problems

natasha81harris

Young Bun
Hello everyone, my little dappy is having some problems with his front teeth, they have started to over grow in different directions, im having to take him to the vets every 2-3 weeks to have them trimmed. I have discussed having them removed with the vet today but im really unsure what to do.... can anyone advise me please? Would it be better for him in the long run, Each time i take him i have to get a bus which he hates then im putting him through the teeth trimmimg it just seems a little too much for him to keep going through every 3 weeks but i am also worried about having the teeth removed and how he will cope after that... has anyone been through a similar situation???

There are a few buns on here with no front teeth and I don't think it has a massive affect on them eating wise :) Someone who has experience will help though :) I have dental bunnies but not had any front teeth removals. Although I would probably consider it if the dentals were 2-3 weeks apart. Is he going under GA for his dentals?

There are a few buns on here with no front teeth and I don't think it has a massive affect on them eating wise :) Someone who has experience will help though :) I have dental bunnies but not had any front teeth removals. Although I would probably consider it if the dentals were 2-3 weeks apart. Is he going under GA for his dentals?

Yeh the vet said she would have to put him under but she trys to make it no longer than 20mins, I will be a complete wreck for the whole 20 mins. i think thats the part im more worried about. Once his teeth are removed how much of a change will i have to make to his diet, will he still be able to eat hay?

Yeh the vet said she would have to put him under but she trys to make it no longer than 20mins, I will be a complete wreck for the whole 20 mins. i think thats the part im more worried about. Once his teeth are removed how much of a change will i have to make to his diet, will he still be able to eat hay?

Ah, I was wondering in case he was having them conscious as that can do more damage. I believe they adapt to it, so eat like they usually do but keep moving the food/hay back until it gets to their back teeth :)

My Lily had her teeth burred every month.She became very used to it,loved my Vet and was comfy in his arms.He used to burr them with no anaesthetic.With no problems at all.

Your bunny will have an x ray first to see if the teeth are removable as roots can twist and be very problematic.

Burring monthly can cause the teeth to become week.Lily had hers done monthly for 2 and a half years as a GA would most certainly have been very risky due to her huge health problems.

Plenty of bunnies can live without incisors.

Wishing you luck.And a noserub for bun.xxxx

When his teeth first started to grow weird i took him to my local vets who filed down the teeth using a machine, but today i took him to a different vet that my cat is registered with and she cut the teeth, personally i didnt like the way she did it, and i thought cutting them could cause them more damage, does anyone know if this is right?

:wave: My vet says clipping front teeth can cause them more damage. He burrs them down while the bunny is awake. My little Mr Shelby was having to have his done every couple of weeks and we decided to have them taken out. Apart from cutting his hard veg such as carrots up small he is a good little eater and it doesnt seem to be a problem for him. He still eats loads of hay and greens fine.
:D

When his teeth first started to grow weird i took him to my local vets who filed down the teeth using a machine, but today i took him to a different vet that my cat is registered with and she cut the teeth, personally i didnt like the way she did it, and i thought cutting them could cause them more damage, does anyone know if this is right?

Cutting the teeth can certainly do more damage. It can lead to all sorts of problems with tooth root infections and jaw abscesses. Personally I would look for another Vet, one who is more up-to-date with their knowledge of Rabbits. If you put a thread up in Rabbit Chat titled 'Rabbit Savvy Vet needed near *insert location*' some people may be able to give you a few recommendations.

As for having the incisors removed, I would certainly opt for this BUT only when my Rabbit is registered with a Vet who knows what they are doing

Good luck.

Back