• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Injecting rabbit antibiotic myself??

Would my vet think I'm totally bonkers if I asked if I can inject Pixie with her antibiotic? She needs them every three days (for her watery eyes) which was fine in the begining (April 24) but now she is just so nervy and frightend of going in her basket I'm worring about stress issues now.

:wave: We have given baytril by injection at home before. They just did the needles up with the correct amount and gave us them (after showing how to do it of course)

I do all my rabbits injections myself as he cant stand in the vet surgery....ec survivour and he can only walk on carpet....so we dnt stress him out by doing vet trips. I got my vet to show me and i do everything unless its urgent and she pops too.
No harm in asking your vet :)

As I have to inject two of my rabbits daily, I do it at home. My vet provides me with a bottle of the meds, the syringes and needles and I do the rest.

It will depend on your Vet as to whether they will allow you to inject your Rabbit yourself. Some Vets are reluctant to do so, especially if using 'off licence' medication such as Depocillin.

You have nothing to lose by asking though :)

It's a bit nerve-wracking doing it yourself though :oops: I could never get the hang of it.

I've done it for 8 weeks and it was fine. Unfortunately, it was the horrid white gloopy penicilin stuff which used to explode out of the syringe if you weren't careful :( but we got the hang of it.

Back