• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice from indoor bunny owners

MilosMummy

Mama Doe
My trio are moulting so much and its starting to take over the house. I mean there is fur on EVERYTHING. How do other people deal with this. Is there something I can be doing so it doesn't get everywhere?

If you find the asnwer to this, I would love to know too! Other than regular brushing, don't have much advice but understand your frustration!

I am so anal about keeping my house tidy, I remember someone saying to me "you won't be able to keep your house nice with a house rabbit" and I laughed. I now sit on the floor, scraping at the carpet with my hands to get all the fluff up, so if someone has a better way of doing it then I'd very much like to find out!

No, except constant grooming and binning the remaining fur ball we never found anything that worked. My first bun was a monster moulter and as rabbit hair is so light it floated to every room in the house.

My dad used to do a chicken impression to get the stuff out of the carpets as the flipping dyson pets hoover was still not strong enough! Lightly pawing at the carpet with shoes on will roll the fur out of them. It also looked very very funny! Worked very well in Nibbles' fav areas to lie in!

We had a white bun so we stopped buying anything black or dark coloured.

(When we got the dyson it was because the ancient hoover we had been using had broken and I swear the carpets actually changed colour with all of the embedded fur that the improved suction was able to remove!!! And we used to hoover quite a lot!)

buns live in my office, so i HAVE to keep it reasonably dust free, and fur free as they get into the computer fans :lol:

I hoover twice a day in here and it seems to do the job :thumb:

My dustbuster is permenantly attached to my left hand :lol: every opportunity I get I try and remove some more fur and tufty bits from the bunnies. A slightly damp cloth wiped over the surface of the carpet helps pick up more fur!

Fortunately, Daisy likes bum ruffles so I ruffle away with one hand and remove fur with the other :lol:

A good hoover
A couple of lint rollers (Ikea do them cheap as chips)
and brush your bunnies regularly outside if you can.

Thanks everyone. Looks like I am doing all I can. Luckily we don't have carpets! Looks like I am just going to have to keep vacuuming. Milo will sit still for a brush and sometimes Emmy but Poppy definately won't.

I'm very lucky, my house buns are barely moulting. The three of them are moulting less combined together than my last bunny did by herself! As they were outdoors at the rescue over the winter and then came to be house buns with me I was expecting moulting central, but *touch wood* I have been very lucky so far!

Our Lop seems to shed more than our Lionhead :?
I find wearing a pair of washing up gloves when trying to lift as much fur from the floor as possible helps.
And a Dyson Animal!!

We've also rearranged the furniture so you can't see down into the area where they like to sleep when they're out of the cage....If I can't see it, it's clean right? :lol:

I vacuum and brush and pull clumps of fur off them. fur still gets everywhere though, it's insane how much they moult! back when we had them in the entrance hall there was often 'dust bunnies' on the floor. i can't wait till we get laminate flooring in the whole house, it's much easier to sweep or vacuum flooring rather than carpet.

Mine are on lino so it tends to accumulate round the edges of the room. When I mop, about once ever three or four weeks, I get the hoover out and get rid of as much as I can. I don't actually tend to brush mine very often. Three of them don't really need it and the fourth loathes being brushed but that helps too. I do tend to pluck out tufts when I see them and get rid of most of it like that.

Back