• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head Tilt Help

Kipper

Mama Doe
Hi

Munchkin has a head tilt, vet is treating him with 1 graduation of panacur for 28 days. Is this enough? I cant help feel that there should be something else that can be done. Hes nearly 9 years old & not eating much but really hates me syringing fibreplex & critical care (hes also recovering from stasis)

Im treating all my other buns with the same course as a preventative.

Sorry got to go to work soon so wont be able to reply much but will check replies throughout the day

Headtilt can be caused be a middle ear infection and not necessarily EC. IMO it is best to cover all bases and give an antibiotic too. A non steroidal anti-inflammatory is also essential, whether treating EC or otitis.

So if he were my Bunny I would definitely be requesting more treatment than just Panacur so I would contact the Vet again today

These links may be useful

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...N3ISKU&sig=AHIEtbR1V0Bkgl46nxoM3IZVX7iM5Uaz_Q

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

http://www.rabbit.org/health/tilt.html

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/BacterialOtitisMediaInterna.htm

http://www.onthewonk.com/?p=1.Home&trk=menu:Home

I have had a head tilt bunny in the past.

I agree with Jane, I would contact the vets and expect treatment of an antibiotic and Metacam or similar. What weight is your bun? Just to check that you are giving the correct dosage of Panacur.

I also had to treat with Panacur for 6 weeks.

Sometimes a head tilt does not go away, but bunnies can cope with it.

Good luck x

Thanks Jane & Kermit didnt realise Id received any replies. Feeling stressed & forgot to scroll down:oops:

My rabbit savvy vet was off when Munch was at the vets. Will ring & ask to speak to him today. Munch has another appt tomorrow evening for a check up. Munch's previous partner died of EC about 5/6 yrs ago but I was wondering if he has an ear infection as hes scratching it a bit but that could also be because he was on a drip Sat night.

How bad is his tilt? Is he managing to get himself about ok?

He has been through it recently what with just having Stasis :( Wee soul.

His tilt is much more pronounced now & he's running into things. Git an appt tonight after work my rabbit vet is back in & he agrees Munch will need steroids & possibly antibiotics so hopefully Munch will start feeling better soon

Hope the vet appt. goes well. Feel free to drop me a pm if you have any questions, I know how many I had when I was first dealing with head tilt!

I think some vets feel steroids are a hindrance as they can reduce the immune system's ability to fight any infection itself. Mischa had steroid injections and with hindsight it wasn't until they stopped that he started improving. He was also on Panacur and an antibiotic and painkiller (Metacam which is also anti-inflammatory).

Thanks Kermit I may just do that.

Munch was given an injection of metacam & also a non steroid one (cant remember what it was) Vet didnt want to give a steroid injection in case Munch's headtilt was viral & apparently the steroid would compromise the anitbiotic (I think) sorry theres so much to take in & try to remember. Munch now has to take 1 ml of baytril twice a day, fibreplex 2mls 3x a day, panacur once a day & 1ml of metaclop 3 times a day plus Im also syringing critical care. He hates me syringing him & now runs whenever he sees me :(
We have another vet appt next Tues.
Vet didnt say anything about giving him metacam but maybe the injectable metacam will last a week

If you Can get your vet to give you oral metacam then you could mix it with recovery? Metacam is honey flavoured and my bun thought it was a GREAT treat (she would gnaw the syringe to try and get more). So it might be easier to get some food in him?

I have an ec bunny too. He has a severe headtilt and cannot walk on anything but carpet so lives indoors free range.
Sounds like the vet has given all the appropriate meds...although metacam really needds to be daily. My bun george is still on metacam daily and also metoclopramide twice a day. It seems to reduce his rolliing so vet said to keep giving him it.
We used baytrill but seen no improvement so changed to depocillin injections and he was so much better.
Hope Munch is doing ok. x

Back