• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Smell when Weeing!

cara

Alpha Buck
My newly rescued rabbit has a VERY pungent smell just before he wees. I don't think it is actually the urine - but something smells! He is a male rabbit.

Any ideas?

Hiya,

Well done on getting a rescue! Is he neutered? Un-neutered bunnies pee can smell much more than neutered ones.

Also, how close are you to him when he wees? If you stick your face in there it's gonna smell :lol:!

Perhaps try a lidded litter box which might contain the smell a bit?

If hes neutered then it might be a reaction to a new place and him marking the area. Or his scent glands might need cleaning.

Thanks for reply.

I have had many rabbits over the years, mainly girlies but a couple of boys and this is the first time I have noticed such a smell.

Teddy Bear is neutered. It is HIM that smells, not the urine and you don't have to be very close to smell it. I don't think it leaves an odour as such - he is weeing everywhere at the moment, not just in the litter tray.

It really is a very smelly smell. Teddy Bear has had a health check prior and everything seemed okay. Wondering if rabbits give off Pheramones (sp?).

I reackon it could be scent glads. They are located near the bottom and are slits either side. They will probably have thick brown very stinky gunk in them that will be the smell. You might need a helper to hold bunny while you very gently clean them. Gently part the gland and using a cotton bud with vasaline on, very gently clean the gunk out. Don't eat just before hand as you may lose your lunch!
You might want to pop a bit of vicks round your nostrils to mask the smell a bit !

I have to say at the moment I can only smell it when he goes to have a wee. Does that still sound like scent glands or would I always be able to smell it?

If it is scent glands - I will take him along with Rosie Rabbit who needs her myxi soon and ask if they would do it for me. Do you think this is something a vet would do?

if he is weeing out of the tray aswell then it could be an infection maybe. when bisc had cystitis i could smell a horrible smell and he couldn't always make it to the trays and had urine on him.

maybe take him to the vets and let the vets examine him and check his scent glands and take a urine sample maybe just to test?

Back