• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Brian and his snuffles

FudgeTort

Wise Old Thumper
I adopted my Brian as a snuffle bun almost three years ago now.
We've tried various different meds, X-rays, tear duct flushes but the snuffles always came back.

Never thought we would get to this point but he has now been medicine free for 6 MONTHS.

My fantastic vet recommended a high dose of Baytril permanently, as he would just be miserable without meds, getting really snotty and distressed with sneezing fits.

6 months ago I thought I'd wean him off the Baytril to see how he got on. The snuffles have not returned. He does still sneeze now and again, but he is rarely snotty and such a happy boy. I know he might have to go back on the meds one day. But for now he's just so happy. He is currently binkying around the garden without a care in the world.

Here's a couple of pics from today
eb934861.jpg

1539555d.jpg

Awww, that's awesome news. Grimlock has been on baytril and penicillin for ages, and probably will be for life. If we take him off them he flares up again. How did you wean him off? It's really great you've been able to do it.

Awww, that's awesome news. Grimlock has been on baytril and penicillin for ages, and probably will be for life. If we take him off them he flares up again. How did you wean him off? It's really great you've been able to do it.

He had penicillin for a while too but it did nothing.
Well I dont know why I wanted to try him off it, just a feeling I had. But I halved his dose, then halved again then stopped. He still had bisolven after I stopped the Baytril which I give him still if he has a particularly snuffly day, but that's pretty much never now.

Ooh that's fantastic! :D So far Boris' symptoms have returned when he's come off the Septrin, although after a 1 month course in December he was basically healthy all winter :D so I'm hoping he won't be needing them every day for the rest of his life :)

How long was it before you noticed the sneezing reduced? V has been on septrin for four weeks with no change. Not sure it's working at all :?

Well last time it took about 8 days or so before I started seeing any real difference. But Boris has a slightly less severe form of snuffles, not a lot of discharge etc. Each case is different I'm afraid :( Baytril had no effect whatsoever on Boris whereas it works wonders in other rabbits. Maybe change try another type of antibiotics? ^ Sometimes you even have to combine different ones. You just gotta find out what works best for your bunny. I hope he improves soon xxx I know how stressful it is when they're poorly :(

Ooh that's fantastic! :D So far Boris' symptoms have returned when he's come off the Septrin, although after a 1 month course in December he was basically healthy all winter :D so I'm hoping he won't be needing them every day for the rest of his life :)

Hope you have some luck with it! Funny how it's all so different. Molly my other bun responded well to septrin but it did nothing for Brian. Well, except for enjoying the yummy taste of course!

Hope you have some luck with it! Funny how it's all so different. Molly my other bun responded well to septrin but it did nothing for Brian. Well, except for enjoying the yummy taste of course!

Boris doesn't like the taste of it :lol: I have to either syringe feed it to him or hide it in something. He loves banana though which is very ironic :lol: So I usually hide it in that. What can I say, he's a nutter :lol:

Well last time it took about 8 days or so before I started seeing any real difference. But Boris has a slightly less severe form of snuffles, not a lot of discharge etc. Each case is different I'm afraid :( Baytril had no effect whatsoever on Boris whereas it works wonders in other rabbits. Maybe change try another type of antibiotics? ^ Sometimes you even have to combine different ones. You just gotta find out what works best for your bunny. I hope he improves soon xxx I know how stressful it is when they're poorly :(

Thanks.

Vince responded well to septrin last time but it did take ages to see a difference.

We have more, we are now in Week Five... Will see vet after the 2 weeks if I'm still not happy but tbh think I am a little impatient :oops: just want him to get better :(

Back