• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dewlap infection

Lillian

Warren Veteran
Honey's dewlap seemed to be getting bigger and bigger, at first I thought she was just putting on weight (she's always had a large dewlap despite being a good weight). Then last week I checked her over and there was two huge masses in her dewlap, felt like large testicles! I took her to the vet, who inserted a needle into the masses to take samples, the needle pulled out thick creamy/yellowy/redy fluid, similar to pus or fat. The lab tests revealed an infection, so Honey has been given Baytril. The vet hoped the Baytril would clear whatever infection there is and the masses would resolve themselves. However a few days later the masses seem to be getting bigger still :? I know antibiotics take a little while but I'm starting to worry.

Poor Honey.

I'd definitely go back to the vet. I hope they can clear the infection very soon.

The vet said she didn't want to open her up because of the infection, and it *should* clear up with antibiotics. At the moment it's not affecting Honey in any way, she's her normal self but obviously it's very worrying to see.

Back